Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

People n kids

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Zana, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    I moved to boise idaho. You would think a place that knows all about herding type breeds would know something about shelties or even heard of them. Oh wait. They say she's smaller sized collie, why would u buy a collie that back yard breeders are making small.

What is she mixed with? Collie n what? Must be an Australian shepherd mix. Why else would she have a blue eye. Is she mixed with a GSD and Aussie? It would explain her perked ears and coloring.

Wow. I get that maybe the cities don't know much about all herding type breeds, but still. Shelties are a popular breed Right?
    I wasn't expecting to get is she mixed with xyz questions. At first I would say shelties, but after they asked what. Sheltie is, I stated saying shetland sheep dog. Some seem to understand, but I sometimes get the feeling that they don't believe me.
    I take the opportunity to educate people about shelties. I had 1 person today who actually knew about shelties and asked if that is what Kota is. She was really breed savvy. She rescued her own dog from the shelter who is a pug mix and it looks like only all legs.

Then the kids. Oh dear, lawsuits waiting to happen n it feels like the parents want it to happen. Walking Kota kid spots her. Oh pretty dog. Comes runing up, Kota avoids her by making me the blocker. Kid tries to go around me to get to her only for her to try and get away. Stops kid quickly. Slow down, talk softly and if u bend down maybe she'll come to u. Kota now,wants nothing to do with the kid. You know, you should never run up to strange dogs no matter the size or cuteness. Kid runs away unsatisfied my dog didn't like her.

Sorry just thought I'd rant a bit. Does anyone else get those questions and random kids running up to ur dog?

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Here in Denmark, I think people know the breed, in the 3 years I've had Minnie people always say Border Collie puppy - think it's because she is black and white (although she's an Tri)
    only met someone who said Sheltie, but she has had one :lol:

I think people / children are good at asking if they have to pet her, but if they asked Minnie, she would say "no thanks"
    But with my grandchildren there she can not get enough :no:

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I get that most of the time, although I do get a few who know what Piper is but the majority say Oh...a mini Collie lol. I have purposely crossed the street to avoid kids, some parents don't even ask if their kids can pet them...they just let the kids run up to them.

Zana likes this.
  4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I live in a small town. The shelties actually outnumber the Labs. (I know-weird! And even if you take my crew out of the equation- Shelties still rule.) That said, we are a very farming community. Four other shelties within a half mile of my house. When we leave town, we get a lot of questions. But if we have Rocket, he's always barking at something, so kids don't usually rush us.

Chris and Zana like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I will ALWAYS tell children, if they come up to me, ASK to pet the dog! Some dogs are just NOT comfortable CHILDREN ... OTHERS LOVE IT!

THEY SHOULD ALWAYS ASK for their safety!

Both Jasmine and Mr. Chance LOVED children. It warmed my heart to see how they responded to them. They were both rescues and believe they grew up with children.
    Laddie, on the other hand, was scared to death of them!

2017-11-20_16-11-18.jpg 2017-11-20_16-13-09.jpg

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca loved kids of all size and age. Spitfire considers them vermin. Angus is not sure yet but kind of likes them so far.

Zana and RikyR like this.
  7. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    Phoebe likes little children, but considers kids on skateboards demons from hell!

Zana likes this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Gloria what lovely pic of your and your sister's dogs, we have no doubt about who is mr. Chance :hugs

9. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Growing up with 7 grand children (14 years - 8 months) Zulu has own herd. He is great with kids. Surprisingly, most all encounters we have with kids while out and about ask if they can pet him. Most know how to approach and pet. If I had to guess, the schools are probably teaching this.

Zana likes this.
  10. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You always have to be on guard with kids and dogs, to protect your dogs. NEVER depend on parents to watch their kids around your dogs you must always defend your dogs by monitoring the situation between their children and your dog.

The Sheltie thing doesn't bug me, but if it bothers you perhaps have something printed that you can hand out.