Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pet FOOleD

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by ghggp, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    2017-04-08_7-16-50.jpg

OUSTANDING DOCUMENTARY! Saw this documentary on Netfilx last night and I can not recommend this film highly enough!

Pet Fooled is a documentary exploring the underbelly of the pet food industry. As a business that is largely unregulated, and controlled by a conglomerate of companies, this film will take an inside look at whether the nutrition we feed our pets is actually good for them. After the dramatic 2007 pet food recall that left thousands of pets dead- a news event that most likely didn't make your headline news- a time has come when this industry needs investigated; held accountable for the injustice that is packaged and sold on a daily basis. The film will examine the history of the pet food industry, highlighting the way these 5 corporations own and manufacture over 90% of commercial pet food. In doing so, the film will unearth the marketing manipulation which convinces society of information situated far from the truth. With 7 out of 10 individuals owning or having owned pets, this documentary will unveil the myths on a topic that touches close to heart, and hopefully in doing it will educate society of the misnomers regarding safety, regulation, and nutritional legitimacy of this industry.

corbinam likes this.
  2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I just started watching this!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You will never look at pet food the same way after watching this!!!

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Disgusting what the pet food manufacturers put into the food we give out pets. After watching this (thanks ghggp for posting this) I've decided to get Piper on a raw diet (he's far far far too important to me to feed him kibble) so if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Actually there was quite a bit I already knew. I mean, I still learned stuff, but it wasn't as shocking as it might be to someone who hasn't spent a lot of time researching pet food. I fed Missy a raw diet for a bit, I want to say almost a year. Then I stopped because it became difficult around the holidays and it was also pretty expensive, even with just one dog. I would like to go back to feeding raw sometime in the very near future though.

6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu is doing great on freeze dried raw (Bravo). It is not cheap, but I supplement it with other healthy items (veggies, sardines) to stretch it out a bit. For me, the benefits clearly outweigh the cost. I will never go back to kibble.

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I just started Piper on a raw diet yesterday, I had a 'recipe' from a previous obedience trainer and decided to go with that. A lot of ingredients (veggies, cottage cheese,yogurt,oatmeal as well as a few others as well as the meat) so some prep work but made enough for at least 3 weeks. Still have a pail of kibble so I'm transitioning to all raw but Piper absolutely devours it! He had a chicken leg 2 days ago (first time so I had to hold it for him until he got the idea of what he needed to do) and yesterday he had a neck that he ate all on his own. He loves it and his stool is firm and already much smaller than with all kibble. If anyone wants the recipe I'd be happy to share it.