Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper amazes me!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    So I have Piper entered in 4 Rally trials in 3 weeks in Thunder Bay so we've been practicing that but since the middle of August we've also been working on his open and utility and he just amazes me at how fast he's learning and how much he loves it. I've been practicing 'back' (for Rally) and it's done wonders for his heeling...he couldn't get any closer to me lol. His jumps, retrieves and figure 8s are fantastic and his utility work is coming along wonderfully, it took me all of a week to teach him go outs (just by sending him to a wall), he's doing great with his articles and I've just started on directed jumping. All this from a dog that took me 8 months at least to get him to 'take' the dumbbell and he now LOVES it and all his obedience work!

I'm thinking...depending on how he does in the next 3 weeks, I may enter him in at least one open trial in Thunder Bay (they have day of entries) and possibly more...I'm addicted lol. I'm so incredibly proud of my boy!:happy:

corbinam likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So impressive!
    You are one proud mom!

Rightly so!!!!

Go Piper!!!
    Baron is tracking your progress and so am I!
    Good luck on your Rally!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Here's a short video of Piper practicing 'back'. There's just something about a Sheltie walking backwards that looks so adorable lol.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is saying that the video is unavailable...

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Same for me :(

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    me too:((

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015

corbinam likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How cool!!!!
    Love it!

What's not to like about a Sheltie furry bumm!!!

Too cute!

Love the fact that you are using 2x4's to keep his backs straight. Clever!

Go Piper!!!
    We are your cheerleading squad...

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    You can also use the 2 x4 's to teach straight fronts...if you've started to teach Baron fronts try using them. Just get him used to the boards by doing fronts close to you as you back up through the boards then gradually increase distance between you. If he learns straight from the beginning its much easier than trying to correct a crooked front (I wish I'd known about them at the beginning!).
    We went to our trainer last night and she didn't believe that after only 3 weeks that Piper understands scent discrimination (I'd been zip tying his articles to a board at first) but after seeing him in action she had to admit he's doing it...working the pile. She had me tease him with his blank and run past the pile of bells and drop his among them (with him beside me) and then send him and he found his every time, even when we through a metal or leather in the middle! She said she'd never seen a dog learn it so fast! He is a very smart dog (she's always telling me how lucky I am that he's so eager to learn), I could work him for two hours straight he loves it so much!

ghggp likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am always amazed at Piper's focus. I am still trying with Baron...

At class last night there was a small terrier that was constantly barking, lunging and snarling at all the other dogs! Baron just got unhinged! He kept looking back at this crazed dog in complete fear! The trainers kept saying to the woman... correct that behaviour! She had NO CLUE! They came over an popped the leash to get the dog to stop lunging at the other dogs...

Eventually, they made her stand in the middle of the gym and the rest of the class had to form a circle around her about three feet away. Then we counted off in 1 or 2. Then ALL the 1's took a step forward and then back. Did the same for the group 2's! The dog soon realized it did not need to charge or bark. Interesting excercise. Had a good result. By the end of the class... the dog was calm.

Piper's mom likes this.