Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper can be so exasperating!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    So it's just over a week until a big dog show here where I have Piper entered in 4 Rally novice trials and 3 obedience trials and starting just this past Monday Piper decided he didn't want to do his recall...I call him to front and he sits there looking at me like I'm saying blah blah blah! I'm doing more fun recalls with just the odd formal recall thrown in (but no finish) and he's doing them again but boy o boy it sure puts the fear of God in you! I swear it's like he forgot it and I've heard of this happening but it's never happened to me before so cross your fingers that he's 100% by next week (there's a Sheltie specialty trial where it'll just be Shelties and I'd love to get the high score and he can do it...with the recall lol), that trial is August 19th so say a prayer for Piper and his recall lol.
    On the plus side I've been working him with the metal and leather dumbbell and he doesn't mind the metal one at all! We have a fantastic trainer (one on one) who makes the articles so she's making us a set, she's also making us the high jump (her husband makes the frame and you just use 1x6's that you slide in). Not many more trials here until next year so after this one we'll be working on his open and utility to get ready for next year, if we can make it through this one:gaah

Chris likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I've heard that after you write the check for the obedience entry and mail it, the dog forgets everything:winkgrin:
    I'm sure that you both will do fine:yes:

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have faith in both of you!
    He is just playing mind games and when it counts Piper will be there for you!

It is so funny, not really, Baron pulled the same thing in obedience class last Monday! He would not sit when I stopped! I asked him to sit and he just would not unless I put a finger on his bum and pressed down! He know it, just decided he did not want to do it!

I swear, they just want to mess with us sometimes!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's must be it Callie!!! lol

5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Well Piper did that indeed lol. he's doing much better now...I do a lot of fun recalls with the odd formal one thrown in but its always at the back of my mind:lol:

6. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017
    [QUOTE=" he didn't want to do his recall...I call him to front and he sits there looking at me like I'm saying blah blah blah! :gaah[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I had to laugh, Our Brittany, many years ago did exactly the same thing, except is was during obedience trials. After working with then for so long and getting everything down, It's like "Sorry Dad, I don't wanna do this anymore."

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Been there! Sooo frustrating!! For those old enough to remember Welcome Back Cotter:

Me: "Beckon, down!"
    Beckon, channeling Vinnie Barbarino: "Who? What? Where?"

:gaah

Piper's mom and mimiretz like this.