Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper got his first leg in Novice!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    Wow Congratulations to Piper. That is terrific! Piper looks so happy.
    I want to try either obedience or rally with Beau but he is so stubborn. He is really training nicely--when he wants to but in training class he tires out about half way through and will do some exercises 2-3 times and then is like "I get it already, why do more?" So it will be awhile.

Funny thing with sits. Beau knows the command perfectly; and he sits for permission on most things automatically...those he doesn't if I wait him out he will. But he seems to get sit and down confused, so outside training I will say "sit" and he will down. Unsure what is up with that, especially since during his CGC pre-tests and tests he did every command spot on. LOL.

Can anyone give me an idea how the levels of obediance or rally work. Like which one is first (for us completely unknowledgeable and novice people and dogs) and where do I find the skills required.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Pam, I just did a search on the web for dog obedience and several clubs are near me so I signed up for Obedience 101. The organizations will help guide you on the class progression for obedience or rally!

I also found a local school that is offering classes near me too. However, it is not as structured as a professional group. Baron needs help to overcome his distraction issues. So, I enrolled him in a beginners class too!

Good luck! I know I will need it as Piper's success is what we are striving for!

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    there should be some clubs or classes near you that you can start with beginning classes.
    I would recommend Rally Novice
    or Beginner Novice Obedience - both are on leash

Shelties are smart and don't need the repetitions that some other breeds do- they will get bored easily if you keep doing the same thing. You do need to keep things fun......

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! WELL DONE!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I would suggest Pam that in class if Beau seems tired step out of the heeling crowd or whatever exercise your doing and play with him for a few seconds or get him to spin (try keeping a favorite toy in your waistband or pocket, don't be afraid to step out of the exercise for a moment...if you have a good trainer they'll understand what your doing. This is advice I received about Piper in class at one point, the trainer said he was doing good but that I was pushing him too much and that I needed to step out and play with him when I started to lose his focus. This is something you can do at any point when your either heeling, practicing stays etc...

6. Pam

Pam Forums Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau is not a "play" motivated dog (unlike my previous sheltie)--he will fetch some and chase some (his biggest joy is pushing a huge ball with his nose--but there are no treiball classes around) and tug doesn't really do it for him so "playing" in class is hard. I think teaching him to do circles or twirl would work really well and I will try that. It would be a good release for him. I actually need to teach him to play a bit more, he is totally food motivated right now. I started just taking him outside of the ring for a few minutes and that helps some.

I looked on the AKC site and unfortunately most of the training clubs anywhere near me that are listed are outdated and the website or place doesn't exist anymore. I do take him to a good basic training facility but we are nearing the end of what is available, and although they advertise Rally, Agility, and Nosework--there haven't been any offerings for the last several months.

7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper's not a super play motivated dog either, he likes his toys to be rather interactive. But I do have a tug toy that's basically just a piece of sheepskin with a tug handle and he absolutely loves it, it's small (only about 8 inches long) and I can keep it in a pocket and bring it out and swing it around and say get it get it!!! Its important that the dog knows that this toy is soooo special and he only gets to play with it with you (Piper never gets to play with his toy on his own) and try starting and ending your exercises with play and tell your dog what your doing so after you've played say your going to do some 'work'so as he learns he's going to get excited because he's going to know after the work he gets to play!
    Also, I found a group online where I live ( here it's called Manitoba Dog list) and it's just a collection of people that participate in all sorts of different dog related activities and you can post questions and such (it's online and on Facebook). I know how difficult it can be to find a good trainer (our last one retired and she was soooo good) but I was able to find someone willing to work with us who does competitive obedience with her own dogs (found from this list).

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Pam , here in Canada (and I think the AKC is the same) the Novice CD is the first title and it entails the heel on leash, figure 8, stand for exam, heel free, recall and a 1 minute sit stay and a 3 minute down stay. There is a pre-novice and only difference is sit for exam instead of the stand (on leash) no finish on the recall no down stay and you can talk to your dog a little bit. This one is all on leash and not required to complete in novice.