Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper news?

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by EJHUNTL, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Premium Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Did you readthe transcripts from the court?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Thought I would resurrect this thread as I often wonder what happened to Piper and it seems the fight is still not over. Hard to believe and quite shocking. They're still trying to raise funds to fight the case and running auctions on the Facebook site.
    From 11 Oct : "Bring Piper Home The appellate court ruled against COSR and the case has been sent back to Judge Brandt's courtroom. We are currently waiting for the case to be put on the court docket and finally have this case completed! So right now we are focusing on getting the bill paid down to a zero balance before more charges are incurred in court."

I also saw a post from earlier in the year that, because of the poor condition she came back in, combined with her age (7yrs) she was spayed.

I was chatting to my sister before about various pet related things and mentioned the Piper matter and even my sister, a retriever owner, had heard about it. Which just goes to show that this matter has touched animal lovers from all over the world.

3. Cubby2014

Cubby2014 Premium Member

May 2, 2016
    Central California
    Yes. Recently, most of the Piper pages had been hijacked and they had to make a new Piper page. There is a FB group called Piper's cause and that is fundraising auctions. There is the original Bring Piper Home FB page back in service. On the Dog Lady Rants blog, she summarizes the whole deal as this: When asked why COSR continues fighting to get Piper back, this is their response...

“Oh, we don’t actually want the dog after all. We would like them to stop saying we did the wrong thing and that we were right all along. We would also like the courts to reflect that anytime someone loses a dog and it ends up in rescue, the owner can’t re-claim it. We’d like to institute Finder’s Keepers.”

THIS is a big deal -- for ALL of us. I know a situation like this right this moment with a husky in Texas. Something happened with a trainer/handler and the dog got into a shelter who checked the chip and their was an error on the phone number. They didn't check implanting vet. They adopted the dog after 4 days. They won't let the owners and the adopter at least discuss options. The media has gotten involved.

I have to say the Piper case has massively influenced my family. All my dogs are chipped and in TWO databases. I have a binder of every single vet visit and document pertaining to each dog I can grab at a moment's notice AND I travel with, I carry millions of pix in my phone from different stages in the dogs' lives, each dog wears 24/7 a tag and county tag and microchip tag, I also carry microchip info with me when I take the dogs out. We definitely leave the dogs home alone way less than we used to and we have home security with webcams.

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I have done the same exact thing all the way down to the web cams... I agree that in this day in age, it is all necessary. Sad but necessary.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Isn't that shocking. Basically wants to enshrine theft in law. Not even government has this right - to keep a dog when it has an owner. There'll be no way to stop zealots stealing dogs when they don't like the owner. If anything like this happened I can imagine govt would have to stop handing over dogs to rescues and a lot more would end up being put down instead. How can anyone in their right mind think this is okay, these people really have a god complex.