Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper update

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Piper's mom, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper and I have been so busy of late, but a good busy. We've been continuing with his obedience training (almost 2 years now, at least people have stopped asking me when he's going to graduate lol) and we've had absolutely the best trainer who was able to help me get Piper to FINALLY take his dumbbell and carry it! Unfortunately she is retiring in one week so we've started up with someone new. We are volunteering in Meet the Breeds at our local exhibition so he'll have to behave himself for 4 1/2 hours this Sunday where he's going to get lots of petting I'm sure and then in 2 weeks we are entered in 2 obedience trials where we'll be going for his Novice title. I'm really looking forward to and working on cleaning up his sits (sloppy, crooked) for an August show where we will do 4 obedience trials plus one Sheltie specialty trial (would love to get a HIT there). As well, the breeder wants to enter Piper in the Sheltie specialty in altered conformation...even if he doesn't do well I'll get some really good shots of him all done up. Piper is excelling in his obedience and finally 'getting' it, it's going to be a fun summer!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that sounds like fun- would love to see him all groomed up:yes:
    we'll be doing rally at a trial next weekend- putting off obedience trials until the fall.......

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm interested in doing Rally with him next, perhaps work on Rally over the winter while I work on his advanced obedience. I'm not sure how long it'll take to obtain his open and utility so I may as well do Rally. It's getting difficult to find a good trainer who is really knowledgeable, our last was in obedience for years and years. The one thing I've found this past year is how incredibly helpful obedience people are. Up until 3 months ago I didn't know about fun or sanction matches and through a local Facebook posting got a dumbbell made for Piper and made a friend who I now train with. All because I wanted a better behaved dog. I think I need to give Piper a treat to thank him for picking me.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How wonderful! You really can understand how important obedience is to not only the dog but the owner! Bravo!!!

I can hardly wait to see how Piper does! I totally understand what you are talking about with sloppy sits! I had that problem with Laddie initially. He soon grew out of it!

I am going to start Baron in basic obedience in two weeks! He is five and lived in a rural setting all his life. He is distracted very easily as a result of everything being new. We shall see how it goes...

Good luck to you and Piper!
    Looking forward to more reports soon!

Piper's mom likes this.