Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper's first obedience match

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I've been working with Piper since he was a puppy and today we entered his first novice obedience match and he did so well, much better than I'd expected, our obedience trainer was there and she critiqued our first run and all errors were mine (I was too slow which caused Piper to forge). Second run I picked up my pace and what a difference (we were allowed to have food in the ring but I don't think I needed it, Piper was very focused). I definitely need to work on his stand and his finish on the recall (he's anticipating), I think I moved my hand on the finish at the match and he went to heel before I could tell him so again my fault but all in all I think he did great, a far cry from a year ago when we went to a trial in pre-novice and he peed in the ring.
    I'm so proud of my little boy, watching the video I was struck by how much fun Piper had, he loved it!
    Here's the link to the video

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    he did look good- it was kinda hard to watch when the camera changed orientation during the filming......

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I know...my sister the camera operator, she wouldn't win an Oscar lol. Don't know if there's any way I can fix that.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I'm in the process of correcting the orientation ( would've been done but I hit the wrong button and had to redo it) so should be corrected in a bit.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I tried to fix it but unfortunately it only made it worse so this is the original video, better that the fixed one

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OUTSTANDING! What wonderful focus and enthusiasm Piper has!
    You can see how much he enjoyed himself!
    You can see him saying... "Hey, mom, how and I doing? Good right?":happy:

I can relate when I showed my first sheltie female Kelsey, I got negative marks from the judge!
    She executed everything flawlessly... go figure, mom needed additional training!:ROFLMAO:

Looking forward to more videos!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I might add that I also had a blast, it was so much fun! There's another match in 3 weeks we're going to attend and then his first trial I'm going to enter him in is just a month away. I was so impressed with his off leash heeling and his focus! The spinning at the beginning is what I get him to do to ramp him up, to make it fun for him....seems to do the trick. I did notice that I gave him a couple of corrections that weren't necessary, so I'd say more mistakes were caused by me than him...I definitely need more training.

ghggp likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I don't think that it can be fixed unless you cut and splice....
    just tell her to hold the phone in landscape orientation and zoom in or out if she needs to......

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    yay! He did have fun!!!! Look at you two!!!! Congratulations!!! First of many, and the future is so bright! What a cutie that Piper is!