Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Planning on Buying a Sheltie

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Oatie, May 16, 2017.

1. Oatie

Oatie Forums Novice

May 16, 2017
    I'm planning on buying a sheltie puppy soon. I've never personally owned a sheltie before, but I've had multiple family members who have, so I know a little bit of what to expect with them. They've always been a favorite of mine and I can't wait to have a loyal, intelligent sheltie of my own.

I've been talking to a breeder since March who specializes in conformation. I've been wanting to get into showing dogs and talking to a lot of people in my local obedience/agility Club. I'd love to learn how to handle in a show ring, but I've wanted to get into a agility more because it just seems more fun and rewarding.

The breeder ive been talking to sends me updates here and there since they were born, and they're coming up on 7 weeks now. They are 8 hours away from me, but I've been recommended to them from local people. I've been wanting a girl, because I've been around so many male shelties that I'd rather see what a female is like.

The two females the breeder have though might not be fit for show. One is lighter boned and is smaller. The other one looks more fuller, but has an a bit of an undershot bite, but says there's a chance she could grow out of it.

Just on looks I'd go with the latter, but either way I'm more likely to learn agility with them. I don't think an underbite should get inhibit a dog from running and jumping?

(I'm also concerned about looking out for anxious and neurotic individuals.)

What are things I should be asking myself and this breeder before I settle on a puppy? I've been following this litter before they were born so I feel like I'm a little already attached.

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    There is so much great information on this site!

Just use the search for answering specific questions...

We would love to see pictures when you finally get your new pup!

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    If I were in your shoes, I'd go meet the girls in person when you can. It sounds like you are already emotionally attached to the underbite puppy. I really don't think an underbite would effect agility ability. There are people with far more experience than me on that though. She could always be your "starter" puppy. The one that you just love to pieces and hug and cuddle. And work some agility with. And once you're in love with her, you're going to want another one anyway. That one can be your show dog.

tesslynn likes this.
  5. Oatie

Oatie Forums Novice

May 16, 2017
    Thank you for the advice!

6. Oatie

Oatie Forums Novice

May 16, 2017
    Thank you, I will!

7. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    So true, you can't have the breed without adding to your pack eventually:smuggrin:

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    My girl Lexi has an underbite and it hasn't affected her agility at all. Just make sure you see a chiropractor every once in a while as it could help!

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    It's true that an underbite can improve as the puppy grows sometimes, but not always. It would definitely affect her as a conformation dog, but not in the performance sports like agility. It sounds like the breeder is trying to steer you in the right direction, so that's good. A relationship with your puppy's breeder going forward is very important. A good breeder will try to steer you toward the best puppy for your lifestyle and what you want to do, so listen to her advice.

Good luck and let us know what happens. And yes, pictures please!

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska has the cutest little underbite, it's only really noticeable when he rolls over for belly rubs. The only difference is on his drinking - he hangs his nostrils over the side of the water bowl when he drinks, I guess so he can have large drinks without dipping his nostrils in. He does have a long nose though. A dog with an underbite isn't going to work with conformation, but can do anything else.

Even though you are thinking maybe confirmation, maybe agility, you do need a dog that will fit within your current lifestyle. I got my female, Tully, for conformation (the breeder only bred confirmation dogs), but also wanted to do agility. I got her ahead of others in the queue because the breeder identified she was a high drive dog and needed an active home. She was still a handful for me, and she did agility and flyball and walked 3-4 hours every day (lucky I liked walking). At 10yrs old she still needs a couple of hours of running off energy each day. She gets a little neurotic, a little silly and barky if she doesn't burn off the energy. Just from others on the forum, the really high drive Shelties always seem to be female (although not all females have drive).

So I guess what I'm saying is look first at a dog that works on a day-to-day basis for you.

ghggp and Hanne like this.