Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by koo21, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. koo21

koo21 Forums Novice

Aug 5, 2017
    I recently purchased a 3 month old sheltie and I have had her home for almost 2 weeks. All is going great with training her with one exception. When I take her outside I have to keep her on a leash for now because she does not yet respond to her name and I am afraid that she will run off. The problem that I am having is getting her to walk back into the house with me. She is very stubborn every time I take her out. She will just lay down and refuse to move. To this point, I have had no choice but to pick her up and carry her back inside because no matter how much coaxing, she will not budge. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    It's not unusual to pick them up and carry them at this age and there's nothing wrong with taking her back inside this way for now. Work with her in the house on learning her name and recall. Use high-value treats...something you only give her when you're doing this training. Soft puppy treats, small pieces of cheese, or something she really loves work well. Then move outside and with her on leash but at a distance from you, kneel down to ground level, call her, and when she comes -- even if she only takes a step or two toward you -- give her a treat. Fuss over her with lots of praise. (Don't hover or lean over her; dogs find it intimidating when we tower over them.) Shelties are very smart and she'll pick this up quickly. Good luck!

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I can't agree more with the tips that Ann gave you! I would have suggested the same!

Good luck to you and let us know how the training is going!

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Yep, patience, patience. She's only 14 weeks.

Hanne and tesslynn like this.
  5. koo21

koo21 Forums Novice

Aug 5, 2017
    Thank you very much for the information! I will definitely try this.

Ann likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    My personal opinion is that they are not stubborn, but very, very uncertain.

It is a survival behavior.

Others have given good directions.

Remember you take her away from everything she knows :yes:

Now she only has you so give her time, love and understanding :hugs

A link to us new Sheltie owners so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

7. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I also give treats every time we get back inside. I want my dogs to associate being home with getting cookies - I want them to find it valuable to be home. That way, if they ever get lost, they'll want to come home, and if by some chance they get out the front door (which is nearly impossible - they are not loose in the house when I'm not home) they are happy to run back inside because they know that that's where the cookies are!!!!!

ghggp likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Another thing you could try is when you call her ( in a very excited voice) as she comes towards you try running away from her while calling her name and saying 'puppy come' (sorry, I don't know her name lol) and being very excited then when she reaches you give her a treat...good girl!!! and then either pick her up and take her in or play the game some more (this will teach her basic recall as well as be loads of fun for her). Good luck!

Cherie and ghggp like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Absolutely perfectly normal puppy behaviour, there's so many things to explore and distract her, going inside is the last thing she's thinking of doing. I agree with Ann, nothing wrong with picking her up. She'll eventually work things out, and then she'll hit adolescence and forget it all for a while! As has been mentioned, lots of praise and rewards, make going inside a game, 'run away' recalls. Only thing I will add is avoid over-using her name at this stage, esp to get her attention if she isn't listening. Until she learns her name only say it when she is giving you attention. That way she realises the word has some importance to her, not just more of the blah blah blah that humans say. And always try to use her name with positive things only and in a high, positive voice.

Cara Sandler, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  10. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi, we played the "name game" with Beau when he was young and he learned his name well and has retained it.
    https://clickertraining.com/node/4386

My method was to sit on the floor with Beau so our eyes were fairly level and with him on a leash which I kept short and sat on. I would say his name, the second he looked at me, "yes" and treat. After a few rounds I would play for several seconds with favorite toy. Then I moved back a few feet and repeated. Whenever we went out I did the name game at the gate 2x before taking him down. The idea is to keep it errorless--so make sure you are really close and at eye level to begin, therefore by default she will look at you and be successful from the first moment.

Cherie and MissyGallant like this.