Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pooping in the house issues

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska is having pooping issues - not pooping every day and then sometimes pooping in the house. I can't work out if it's behavioural or something is wrong health wise. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a senior.

The background is, a few months ago I noticed Deska would only poop on walks. This was compounded because I was getting sicker and finding it harder to take them on walks. IN the end I arranged a friend to take them out every few days just so Deska would poop. Fast forward to Sept and the dogs are currently living with my mother while I have cancer treatment. The dogs adore my mother, but are frightened of my step-father who has dementia. My mother is an invalid so they don't get walks, but she does take them on the 'school run' with the grand kids and she has daily visits.

Since being at her house Deska has pooped in the house 4 times (that I know of). 3 of those times he could get out a dog door, last time my step-father was yelling at Deska and temp shut off his access to the dog door.

Problem is, it's not that easy getting the dogs to the vet, and for what? If my step-father finds the poo (lucky it's been my mum so far) I'm worried about what he'll do because of the dementia. My mum is too scared to leave the dogs at home when she goes out in case Deska poops.

Thoughts?

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Oh gosh...not sure about this Caro. I am sure that Deska's pooping is probably behavioral especially with all the changes in his life, especially with the new scary person and a new home. I tend to think that if it was health related, it would be more consistent. Is there anyway that the dogs can be separated from your step-father? I couldn't imagine living in that sort of a stressful environment and I am sure Deska is feeding off of that.

3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Caro, I am so sorry you are battling Cancer and to top it off your dogs are under the mental strain of a new environment.
    I wish I lived closer to you... I would take them in a heartbeat until you got better.

I had issues with Logan pooping and peeing in the house for years now. Yes, he is a senior, I think he just can't be bothered to go outside!
    I have to shoo him out the door and tell him to 'go do your business'! He will immediately go. The door is always open and he has access to the doggie door.
    Sometimes he just can't hold it. He is on steroids for his Bronchitis which makes him drink more.

I agree this might be a behavioural issue too. I am not sure this is the right environment.
    Patience is what they need now. You don't need any more stress either.
    I wish could help...

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - So sorry to read this
    I want to say, like Gloria - wish I only could help you :hugs

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Today was simply awful. My step-father put the dogs in the back of the car to come see me. He picked Deska up and threw him in the back of the SUV (4WD) and missed and Deska landed on the road, now he's limping badly. I just don't know how to protect them when I can't even look after myself. I worry if my step father islike this after a month, how bad will he be towards the dogs in another 3mths.

6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My heart just breaks for you. I can't imagine the turmoil this is having on your psyche!
    Poor darling Deska. Such a traumatic episode. Can't he be told not to interact with the dogs? Is there anyone else who can help you to take your dogs until you are recovered?
    I wish I was there to give you a big hug!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so sorry Caro for the difficulties your facing, my heart breaks for you and your dogs! Is it possible to ask the breeder to watch your dogs for a while? I know if I asked Piper's breeder she'd watch him in a heartbeat. Sending a big hug your way:hugs

ghggp likes this.
  8. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Like everyone else, my heart goes out to you and your precious Shelties. And like everyone else, I wish I had a solution for you.

ghggp likes this.
  9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I'm so sorry things are going downhill so quickly. I agree that maybe asking the breeder to help is a good move. My father has dementia as well and asking him to please do something (or not do something) is useless because he doesn't remember.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Unfortunately Deska's breeder is in Sydney (a long way away) and Tully's breeder retired from the dog world so I haven't spoken to her in years.

I was wondering if I wrote a letter asking him to be kind to the dogs and explaining why, maybe mum could show him every time he gets aggressive. But if he ever catches Deska having done a poop in the house I think there could be big problems.