Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pooping in the house issues

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Caro, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I agree. I think the solution is going to be somehow keeping them separate from each other. I'm not sure what kind of resources you have there - what about local trainers who might do doggie day care? That way you could take Deska there anytime you're not around to supervise.

ghggp likes this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I was thinking along the same lines as Cara. Are there dog clubs in your area? Or even the clubs you used to be active in? There might be someone who would be willing to step in and help with the care of the pups.

3. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Sounds like your Mom has her hands full :( I know it is a big step, but would a local dog rescue temporarily foster Deska for you until you can take him back home?

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I got Deska to the vet as he pooped in my brother's house. The vet did an x-ray and found his colon is chockers full of poop. He thinks Deska may have motility issues in his colon. He told mum to give Deska lactulase and an enema, she's started giving the lactulase (no enema) but it's making no difference. I'm also waiting on getting cisapride compounded (did someone mention using this recently?). Vet is concerned as it's been going on so long and is so compacted that the colon may be stretched.

I wish they could walk him in the meantime, Poor boy must be feeling so uncomfortable. Walking definitely helps his bowels, but he's become so sooky he only wants to be with my mother so there's no point getting a dog walker. Mum's too immobile. Oh to be well enough to drive down and walk him myself.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh, Caro, I'm so sorry to read about your problems, both your personal and little Deska's - really hope you can come home soon and everything can be good. :hugs

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    good news, my step-father actually took them for a walk and Deska did a big poop. Now if only my step father could walk him more regularly, maybe he could poop out the rest of it. Plus I think it would do my step father the world of good to go for a walk too. Mum also discovered she's meant to give Deska lactulase 4 times a day, not just once.

My 2 naughty ones are enjoying getting up at 5.30am, which is when my mum gets up. Apparently they now make sooky noises if mum sleeps in (they have to sleep in the lounge) so she gets up. I've told her to at least not feed them until 8.30 - this is not a habit I want to encourage when I get them back.

Hanne likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So glad to hear the meds and walks are helping him to go!

Are you sure with your step fathers condition that he can be trusted to walk your dogs by himself?

Don't wish to add more drama to your already full life. Just a concerned mom!

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's wonderful that things are going better. Poor Deska...that has got to be uncomfortable on him being so full like that!

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I worried about this too, particularly his ability to protect the pups if something should happen. But it did make a difference when he walked them. I doubt they'll get many more walks than that anyway.