Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

PooPoo Platter

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Nathaniel, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Nathaniel

Nathaniel Forums Novice

Oct 10, 2017
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Butterscotch is a 4 month old sable and is constantly on the hunt for other dogs' waste when we go out for a walk. We live in an apartment complex and not all the neighbours pick up after their canines. The second she finds a piece she will try and lunge toward it and if successful will swallow it whole. Is this just a part of puppyhood or is she lacking something in her diet? She is on Diamond Puppy and gets a few treats each day. Will her taste for the doo ever subside? I try my best to keep her away and say "no no!" if I catch her but sometimes she is too quick and has already gobbled it up!

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    When Piper was a pup that was never an issue. I'd take her to the vet and maybe get her checked out or even just call and talk to the vet and see what they say. For now, I'd keep her close to you on your walks and if you see some up ahead say unun...leave it. You can tell when they have to 'go' because they usually start to smell the ground a lot more so maybe only allow her to go on the grass when you know she has to go and make sure there's no poop there.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When I got Minnie she would eat everything she found from cigarettes to poo :ick

She learned quite quickly that she did not have to - with the word "no disgusting" and at the same time showed her a nice treat as a reward.

Now she even can sniff at food she finds and do not touch - still gets praised and gets a treat (now just her normal pills) other things just "disgusting"

Even when she finds a stick she wants to play with, she looks at the stick and up to me -
    " may I take it" sometimes it's "no let it lie", but most times "yes, what a cheeky stick" and then the wild hunt goes on :lol:

Cats poo was definitely the hardest if she ran free - she first stopped when she was about 2½ years old

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  4. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon never developed the poo habit, not sure why. We also lived in an apartment complex when we first got him, so I understand the difficulty of dealing with other people's less than perfect habits. For us it was (believe it or not) someone leaving half eaten pot pies on the sidewalks. I didn't want him eating them, both for the obvious reason of it not being good for him and because I'm a little neurotic and was afraid someone was trying to poison the dogs in the complex. Oberon, of course, shared none of my suspicions and just smelled something that would taste really, really good. When he first went after one, I jerked back on the leash, said "Leave it, nasty - no, no!" in a rather harsh voice (no yelling, but obviously upset). He looked at me like I was crazy to expect him to leave a delicious-smelling treat behind, but his instinct to please me overcame his desire to eat the pot pie. He left it, came back to me. I gave him a few treats, praised him to infinity and beyond, and we went on our way. After that first time, whenever we found a half-eaten pot pie (and yeah, they were surprisingly frequent), he would look at me, I would say leave it, and he would give the Sheltie equivalent of a sigh, come to me and sit, and get his treat.

I think the same thing would work with poo. The key was my obvious distress, and his desire to please me.

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby is a poo eater too. But she will also eat her own. i am sorry to say but we have not been able to stop her. If we tell her "no" or "leave it" she will quickly swallow it whole and run away. When she is on leash it is much easier to keep her away from other things she shouldn't have.

Our vet is aware and just keeps a close eye on her and if she ever gets ill we are to take her in right away. In our yard we make sure we clean up her poo before she gets a chance to eat it. But sometimes ,like now, it blends in with the leaves. But Shelby always finds it.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I've had a number of poo eaters as adults, but mostly I've found it's a puppy thing. They learn it in the whelping box when Mom cleans up after them. In my experience, most outgrow the habit sometime after they're a year old. Others do not and just do it forever. There are several things you can try if the dog eats it in your yard, like adding some canned pineapple to their food (didn't work for me though :() but if she's eating others' poo on walks that won't help. I would just issue a stern "no!" and pull her away from it. Give her a treat when you're successful to reinforce the command.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It is much easier to control when you leash walk than if they are stalking their housemates poop. Katy's rescue situation was one of neglect and she came to us a poop eater and we've tried so many methods and honestly she can find on scrap of poop out in the yard. Lately bunny poop is the preferred flavor. The Vet is aware and we have regular screenings for worms and other fecal related diseases as the Vet has said it is a tough habit to break.

We don't have a problem on the leash as we generally pull them away from unwanted explorations and snacking. The yard is much more challenging. I make daily trips to clean up all creatures poop and I distract with treats when I notice her and sometimes that works. Overall the best policy for us has been reducing access.