Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Potty Training While Full-Time

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by ev99, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    3 months. Is Certainly better than 8 weeks, but they have no control over their business until about 5 months..

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I've always heard that for each month they have an hour of 'holding' capacity/ability. So at around 6 months they can hold for ~6 hours. Once Gavin reached 4 months, I always picked up water around 8PM to minimize potty needs at night.

Shelby's mom likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I also picked up the water at night- when I remembered:ick

4. Stella

Stella Forums Novice

Feb 28, 2017
    Central Texas
    Here's yet another contradictory opinion - but it worked for us.
    I work three or four 12 hour shifts a week. I brought Lover Boy home when he was 8 weeks old. I didn't crate, but I did waste a fair amount of money on an X pen, which he learned to climb out of the first week he was here.
    I'm not anti-crating, I just think 12 hours+ is a lonnnnng time. So I puppy-proofed everything - put everything dangerous (electric cords, etc), or tempting-but-valuable out of reach, or blocked off with furniture, and let him use training pads while I was gone. He did great. I had to be a lot more careful of chewing than I did potty issues.
    Now I've had him a year, and he's a perfect gentleman - when he's not getting into mischief!
    Believe it or not, dogs are naturally clean. They hate "soiling the nest" and won't go on the floor if they can use a pad, won't go on a pad indoors if they can go outside, and won't go in your yard if they can go further away. I never had to "potty train" a dog, just provide them with appropriate places to go.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Stella - I really love your post :yes: - but I am a anti-crating mom. :biggrin2:

I've never had problems with cleanliness - all my puppies from 8 weeks - at least been allowed to go into the entire kitchen when I was not at home.
    When I was at home, they always have been with me all over the house.

At night they lay in my bed - when the puppy began to go around, so it was time for a walk outside.
    Here they lay until they could jump off the bed, and thereafter there were no problems with keeping clean at night.