Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Probiotics

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Kelsey, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Forums Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Syracuse
    What probiotics do you give to your shelties?

2. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I give Sparrow probiotics due to the intestinal surgery she had last year leaving her tummy in a muddle. I also give them to Merlin just to keep him healthy.

I don't use a specific brand, but I always make sure the probiotic I use contains this bacterium:
    Enterococcus faecium E1707
    It is EU-registered and it is the bacterium found in the probiotic pastes vets give you when your dog is poorly. I also keep some of the same probiotic paste on hand for digestive upsets.

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Shelties need probiotics?

4. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Some dogs benefit from probiotics, if for instance they have digestive problems, just like people. But on the whole they are not necessary if a dog toilets normally. Adding a probiotic to a normal dog's diet will not probably change anything, though it probably won't hurt either.

Sparrow had emergency surgery on her bowel last July, any surgery where the bowel is pulled around tends to leave it bruised and less good at doing its work for a while. Couple that with the large amounts of post-surgery antibiotics she needed, which destroy the gut flora, and you are left with a dog that has a less than perfect digestive system. Since her op Sparrow has become allergic to beef and poultry. She has a fish based diet, but still gets regular bouts of loose bowels. So I use a veterinary approved probiotic to try and keep her intestines functioning normally and to replenish her gut bacteria.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    All of my dogs get probiotics every day. It's very good for them if they're fed processed food such as kibble, and a must if they're taking antibiotics or other medications that can affect their digestion. I use Natures Farmacy Ultimate Probio Max or their Digestive Enhancer.

https://naturesfarmacy.com/probiotics-and-enzymes.html

7. Kelsey

Kelsey Forums Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Syracuse
    Thank you, everyone. I have read that probiotics are great for helping with allergies in dogs. My sheltie has been on fish oil for three weeks now, has been switched to grain-free food, and has also had a bath with allergy shampoo (along with a leave-in conditioner spray for dry skin), but he's STILL scratchy with dry, itchy patches on his underside, and flaky skin. Granted, these are all recent changes, so maybe it will take some time. However, my previous sheltie had these same exact issues and was on different food. This makes me think it's environmental allergies which is why I am hoping a probiotic will help. We also recently had our carpets and furniture professionally cleaned (with green products), and I have been running an air purifier almost non-stop for the last several weeks.