Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Proper tip gluing?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Daisy's Mom, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    Daisy's ears have come unglued again, thanks to her antics with my other dog. She is 7 months and one ear is still sticking up, with one pretty well settled down. As I prepare to reglue I always try to look at a video to get it right, but I have seen two ways to glue the tips:

The first way is to apply the glue to tip, outside the ear, then fold the tip under so the glue adheres to the hairs at the base of the ear. This way, the ear is curled under.

The second way is to apply glue to the underside of the tip so it just folds down and adheres to the hairs at the base of the ear.

So, which is better - gluing the inside or the outside of the tip? I have tried both, but her ears aren't set so I don't know how they will ultimately turn out.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    There are a million and one ways to glue ears—and breeders love to tell you which one is right . It’s all about what works for you. I’ve always glued the underside of the tip to the base at the inside (towards the face). Good luck!

Daisy's Mom likes this.
  3. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    Thanks for your reply @corbinam! Everyone seems certain their way is best, and I have been unhappy with some of my glue jobs.

I did end up gluing as you suggested and they look even, so hopefully they turn out well. One ear still looked good after several days unglued. The other...needs work.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    It definitely tries your patience! The good news is that I seem to remember it getting easier the more practice I got. Good luck!

5. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan