Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Class Number 3 Actually Happened

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by MissyGallant, May 23, 2017.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    We finally had our puppy class number 3. And it was with Sweet Charli. Charli LOVES my husband. She just wiggles and wiggles. Rocket learned to sit at my side. He went straight for the kids. He has entered his teens and has started to ignore "Come" during class. Not happy about that, but I am excited that he is starting to be happy about seeing Charli and the kids. He even went up to the adults in the class. And he comes at home and in our yard and in the parking lot when he jumped out of the car before we had the leash on him.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    glad that he came in the parking lot- I have always worried about that second before the leash is on......
    current crop is pretty good about waiting until I tell them it's ok to jump out of the car.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    My grown ups are. Or if they jump early, they sit immediately beside the car. Rocket needs a lot of work though. Right now, he still doesn't like his neck being messed with. So, he scurries to the opposite side of the car where you are standing in the doorway. This time he just squirmed right out of the car. Fortunately, he knows "Treat".

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    From day one, my puppies have learned, first line on, and never, never go out of the car without permission.

Since Minnie is a little race unlike GSD, she knows she never leaves the car, I must lift her down
    - even if her best friend is waiting for playing - Yes, I am an evil mom :biggrin2:

ghggp and Cara Sandler like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Destin has to wait to be lifted down, the others are big enough that I don't feel that jumping down might hurt them.

6. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon knows how to jump in and out of the car (jumping in the car is a relatively new skill for him) but we keep his leash on even in the car so we can grab it as he gets out.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Spirit too, understands that she is never allowed to get out of any crate (and she rides in a crate in the car) until I say she can. It always scares me when a dog gets out without a leash!

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    All my dogs have always been in a crate in my car.

Yes, Minnie can easily jump in and out - but it's just for extra security - she has to wait to be lifted down:yes:

-If there is something that is extremely exciting
    -I know Minnie enough for her to think
    "so now I've got the leash on, that´s ok - so there is no sense that I also should be allowed to jump out" :biggrin2:

The GSD dogs were 99.9% - secure in their obedience, they would never jump out without permission

Minnie only 95% if she thinks it is a meaningless stupid rule :lol::lol:

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Like others I taught Piper 'wait' for the car. Even now I get out and I'll stand there (or get something out of the back) and make him wait because it's too scary when they jump out without warning.