Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Food?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Jared188, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Jared188

Jared188 Forums Novice

Nov 20, 2017
    Hello,

I am about to get a sheltie puppy next week, and it will be my first one, so I want to make sure that I am allowing him to have the best food available for development. I have been researching a lot regarding the type of foods I want to get for him, and I am between "Taste of the Wild Puppy food" and "Wellness Core Puppy food." I have read that it is not recommended for some shelties to have a high protein content, and that many owners like to keep the protein % to be under 30. However, the protein content for the "Wellness core puppy food" is about 36% for crude protein, and that is the only thing concerning me regarding that food. Is the high percentage of protein going to affect my puppy negatively, or should I consider getting kibble that is less in protein for him. He is going to be about 10/11 weeks when I receive him, and the breeder before has fed him Purina, and I am not trying to have him continue with that. If there are any other recommendations for other puppy food, besides those two, please let me know! I have also researched about Fromm, and I have heard great things, but the only thing that concerns me is the ease of acquiring Fromm, and also the prices. Therefore, I am trying to go for food that I can probably purchase on Chewy.com, Petsmart, or other large pet stores. However, I will be willing to get Fromm or another smaller brand, if they are a big difference in making sure that my sheltie puppy is healthy!

Thank you everyone for your help!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Taste of the Wild and Wellness are both good foods, although TOTW is way more expensive than Fromm. It's also quite rich, and can give Sheltie puppies the runs.

All my puppies eat Fromm Gold Puppy formula. Now that Chewy no longer carries it, I get it from PetFlow.com for the same price as Chewy, and the same shipping deal. I like the ingredients, the protein level, and all my puppies have done well on it. You're on the right track with the foods you're looking at...the important thing is that you're comfortable with it and your puppy does well on it. Just be sure to start the puppy on what he's eating now, and make the transition very gradually from Purina to avoid digestive upset. Good luck!

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When Minnie was a puppy, I tried several (expensive) grain-free brands. Her belly was always very up and down.
    When she come on adult food, the stomach was still not "good"

Here on SN I had read very well about Fromm's food, which is not known here in Denmark
    - found a place where I could buy "gold adult"
    - must say that her belly got "amazing" right from the start and it is still :yes:

So agree with Ann - I would try puppy food in Fromm's gold series.

4. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Hi, Jared. I have a 15, well almost 16, week old puppy, Toby. I brought him home when he was almost 12 weeks old and began feeding him the dry Wellness Core puppy food. I transitioned him over to Wellness by combining it with the food the breeder sent which was Eukanuba, I think, mixing it half and half. I put it in a cup and just cover it with water and microwave it about 20 seconds. I have 2 other dogs to feed and Toby gets fed last so usually it cools down enough that I can pour it right into his bowl. Sometimes Toby lets me know vocally that he is VERY impatient for his food and I am moving WAY TOO SLOWLY in getting it to him. Then I for sure add a little water and swish it around before I give it to him. I also have started making him be quiet and sit before I put his bowl down. Granted, it's a quick "sit" but it's helped!
    I took pics of the food bag and showed it to the vet at Toby's first visit. He approved and praised the food.
    My other 2 dogs (not shelties) eat different types of Wellness so that's one reason I looked up their puppy food. I found at more than one site that the food had a 5/5 star rating. I also liked the idea of my doggies all eating the same brand of food. It says 36% protein on Toby's bag of food.
    As far as Toby goes he's not had a single problem with eating, nor with transitioning to the new food! Like a good sheltie he LOVES his food, always licks the bowl clean! Since he's still too young to go for walks we spent a LOT of time in the back yard so I see all his stools every day. (Well, that's part of being a parent, right, keeping an eye on that!) I'm happy to report they're always normal!! He's never thrown up any food. Toby appears very healthy, has lots of energy, and is growing like a weed! At 11 weeks he weighed 5.8 lbs. Last week at 15 wks he weighed 9.0!! ( and he's the right size, he's not Tubby Toby lol) He's gotten so tall he can carry the weight. He's got that coltish look right now. So that's my experience with the Core puppy food. I wanted to share with you how well my Toby has done with it so far. Good luck with your new puppy!! Hopefully, he'll do as great as Toby has with whatever food you choose for him!!

5. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I give Phoebe Fromm's. I tried a bag of Taste of the Wild, but noticed that her poop was a good deal bigger on it, so I went back to Fromm's. I'd rather pick up little poop and big poop!

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :lol::lol:
    I always think - less poop more for my money :biggrin2:

Jams likes this.
  7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I fed Beau Wellness Puppy Core, and now feed him Wellness Grain Free Adult food. At the very beginning I mixed the dry Wellness with Merrick canned Puppy food but faded that when he got a bit older. He has, so far, been very healthy, and his vet is happy with his weight. I can say he suffered a horrendous accident last January and healed faster than anyone predicted, so I guess that means he is healthy. I stayed with Wellness for exactly the reason I could get it from Chewy.com.

Good luck with the new puppy. Sheltie puppies are lots of work but so much fun!

8. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Lil' Lady is on Wellness small breed, and Natural Balance salmon with sweet potato. She is addicted to fish.
    She will be 12 December 28th so I have to say she is doing well for an Ol' Lady.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    We fed all our puppies Fromm Gold Puppy. They came eating Eukanuba puppy from the breeder.