Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy hates collar and harness

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Lexi, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    Hi, so as you can read my sheltie puppy of 5,5 months hates collars and harness even more. She is very food motivated but when she sees me with the harness in my hands she will hide and run from me. She is like this from the day I got her. Her littermates are totaly ok, the breeder put them collar and harness when they were yound and I was expecting no problem. I tried to give her the collar before our walks, which she likes but she doesn't make the connection collar means walk and fun. I tried to give her the collar on before her meals but it takes a lot of time before she gets near. And she eats her meal in second so you get the idea how big her fear is and she prefers to not eat. On our walks I put her the harness because she likes to slip from the collar.
    Has any of you had the same problem, I have no idea what to do anymore:no:

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    A little hard to explain in English :no:
    Yes, it's not easy, but I would buy a rounded leather necklace with a stop.
    http://www.excellentdogs.dk/halsband-og-liner/halsband/halsband-med-stop-rundsyet-laeder.html

Shelties have a narrow head but a collar with a stop can be put to fit the neck and which they will find it difficult to escape, I think it helps when they get their adult fur.
    But make sure it always fits and does not get too tight at the stop place.

Minnie does not like a harness, I do not actually, but I thought a little puppy looked so cute.

Is it because she does not like getting a collar over her head ??
    Then buy a cheap little light one that you can clip on and let her have it on inside, so you can watch out if she plays with your other dog.

I use this light steel free with large joints?, it must be over the head and it can be exchanged free when they grows out of it - it does not spoil the fur - and never get wet
    http://dogsportdk.com/product/hs-sp...elg-imellem-6-laengder-fra-55-til-71-cm-3377/
    You can put the hook in the big ring and down into a joint? that makes the collar in that size so they can not slip out.
    Now I normally just put the hook in a joint?
    because Minnie never wants to slip out and if she does, then she waiting to get it back on again.

But NEVER never use it as a "choke/strangle collar"
    :gaahit was a long post.

3. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
  4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    My dog used to run when she saw the harness. Have you tried a holding a really delicious treat in your hand with the harness on your wrist and as she eats the treat, slide the harness over her head? And then feed her a few more treats?

How does she act once the harness is on?

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, that's something like that I thought about,

But if she does not like to get anything over her head then I would buy a light, little thin cheap necklace with a click lock that does not go over her head.
    https://intl.target.com/p/adjustable-dog-collar-red-boots-barkley-153/-/A-51065471#lnk=sametab

When she's ok with this then the next step might be what you're linking

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have harnesses similar to this one
    Plain rolled leather collars for their tags like this
    and martingales
    Destin still isn't thrilled with getting his harness put on- he avoids me when he sees it but has no problems getting it on once I have him and the harness together. Everyone else is pushing to get one put on because that means we are going somewhere and there will likely be treats involved at some point......

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I use a martingale with Piper, mine just slips over his head but I do know that you can buy martingales that clip on so you get a collar that won't slip off but they don't have that fear when you put it over their head. Personally Piper loves his collar, he knows when he sees it he's going for a walk so he gets very excited. You could try lots of treats when she sees the collar and slowly get her used to wearing it with lots of excitement from you. Baby steps though....you want her to gradually learn that the collar means fun is about to happen.
    I personally don't like harnesses, I think they teach a dog to pull and have never used one.
    Good luck, patience and consistency is the key.

8. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    I gave up on harnesses for both my dogs when they each slipped out of them. I have never had that kind of scare with a collar and they seem to respond better with the collar than the harness anyway. I agree with the comment regarding pulling from Piper's mom.

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby isn't fond of her collar and especially does not care for a harness either. Like you Shelby loves going for a walk but hates having her collar out on.

We use a martingale because she did slip a regular collar and was almost hit by a car. She can't slip the martingale. I do like take4roll explains with the treat through the collar and that seems to work best. The only time Shelby must wear her harness is when we are doing nose work. But she will stand far back in her crate so I have to climb in to get her in it.

Once she has either of them on she is fine with it. It is just the process of getting it out on she doesn't like.

10. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    We made some progress with puting the collar on, but mostly because I don't 'torture' her any more with the harness. Before her meals we do 'the put on collar ritual' and now she won't run and hide and she comes closer to me. I hope we will do more progress in the future so we can move to puting the collar for a walk without hiding:fl.
    And she really pulls less on a collar on a harness she is a bully:rolleyes2:

Shelby's mom and Hanne like this.