Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy won't leave my 2 year old dog alone

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by simba14, Sep 27, 2017.

1. simba14

simba14 Forums Regular

Jan 15, 2017
    My 14 week old collie cross puppy is constantly hounding my 2 year old dog in the house. She makes him play when he clearly doesn't want to and it ends up with him snapping and growling. I thought letting this happen once would teach her but it hasn't and I won't let her annoy him any more. I can't keep her behind the puppy gate because one of my older dogs is afraid of it when she climbs on it and goes crazy. I've started putting her in her crate when she annoys him but that means she is spending far too much time in the crate everyday. Any ideas?

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've always believed that there is no better discipline for a small puppy than what they can get from an older dog however if the pup doesn't 'get' it or the older dog doesn't discipline the puppy then you have to step in. I also agree with Gloria that perhaps you could play with the pup more, try to wear them out and do some obedience (sits, watch me, take it, leave it etc)...anything that you can do for a few minutes as this will work their little developing brains and tire them out. All this should hopefully cut down on the amount of time the pup bothers the older dog. And they do slow down as they get older....at a puppy class the instructor said that most dogs aren't full grown until they're 3 and at 2 1/2 my Piper is almost there lol. Good luck!

ghggp likes this.
  4. simba14

simba14 Forums Regular

Jan 15, 2017
    Thank you for the advice :D She gets a good walk everyday as well as her daily training. Basic obedience sits downs and a bit of co-ordination training to help her future agility career :) She has a big pen but one of my older dogs is afraid of it so she is only in it when everyone is out and he is kept in a different room then! It's my own fault for adopting a collie cross puppy hahah but I love her and the other dogs are still adjusting to her so maybe it will just take time!

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I also suggest giving her activities and challenges that don't involve your other dog. All food should be given in dispensers and puzzle toys rather than straight into a bowl. Kibble in a kibble dispenser (I just made one by cutting kibble sized holes in a PET water bottle) and soft food in things like Kongs. Teaches her a little independence and that she doesn't always need your or the older dog to enjoy herself.

Hanne and ghggp like this.
  6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Keep redirecting the behavior. She will eventually learn, just try to not get frustrated with her as that will stress your older dog.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Just wanted to chime in to say that this isn't that unusual :) Enzo was the same with Lexi when he was a puppy. We did a combination of crating when he was being obnoxious (and sometimes his obnoxiousness was a sign that he was tired!), and redirecting to something else. Also, make sure to spend plenty of one on one time with both pups. Younger pup so that you're more fun that her brother is, and older pup so that he doesn't begin to resent this annoying little brat that takes all your time. I'm sure you know that, but it's definitely important!

8. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    How are things doing? Any better?

9. simba14

simba14 Forums Regular

Jan 15, 2017
    I had completely forgot to check this forum all week. Yes things have settled down a bit she seems to be learning when enough is enough. She has just decided she has to convince my eldest dog (a German Shepherd) to play with her and I told her getting Mya to play was a lost cause but then I walk into the garden today and there they are chasing each other and tugging a toy together hahaha!