Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy's an early bird, but we're not!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Daisy's Mom, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    Hi there,

So, I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on Sheltie sleep habits and energy level. As the title states, Daisy is an early bird. She wakes by 5:30 a.m. and wants to go outside to do her business. Then she is wide awake and ready to start the day, even though it is still dark out. We cannot get her to stay in her crate for an extra hour or so of sleep, so we have been leaving her in the kitchen with a chew to keep her occupied while we get a little extra sleep. I do not feed the pets until at least 6:30 a.m., thinking any earlier would encourage her early morning routine.

My other dog was very energetic, but Daisy is in a league of her own. She really does not seem to need as much sleep as my other dogs have, or as the rest of the family does. I have tried walking her again in the evening and keeping her active to tire her out, but I think she has remained in her crate until 7 a.m. only once since we got her.

Do Shelties need less sleep than other dogs because of their herding background? Anyone else have an early bird dog?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I don't know how old Daisy is, but it sounds from your post like she's a puppy. I've had a number of early bird puppies, and they've all outgrown it. My Ruffles used to get me up by 5 every morning, even when it was dark then, until she was about 9 months old. I thought it would never end. By about a year she started sleeping later. Now she's 4 and I have to get her out of bed in the morning! She won't get up even when I'm dressed and ready to go downstairs! :sleep:

Even the most energetic of my dogs sleep through the night until I get up, usually around 6 and would sleep later if I did. I don't think they're more energetic than other breeds as a rule. So be patient...most likely your Daisy will eventually settle down.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Fortunately for me Piper didn't get up early (I'd get up at 8 and he'd be awake but patiently waiting for me). My last dog however used to wake me up at 4 am and want to play after doing her business so I feel your pain lol. She did outgrow it once she was about 4-5 months old. Now of course I get up at 8 and Piper doesn't get up until 9 at least:ROFLMAO:

4. Daisy's Mom

Aug 25, 2017
    Daisy is a little over 5 months, and I have just been surprised by her level of energy. Even if she is napping in her pet bed, she seems to have one eye open. If we move, she's up and wants to be part of the action.

I figured she'd settle down when she got older. I am just surprised that my tactics have failed to get her over the 5 a.m. wake up call. And yes, she could play in the dark outside, if I let her.

Thanks for your input!

Ann likes this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Your Daisy are not "Companion" breed, but a Herding dog and is ready to work when you are active :wink2:

I had previously GSD and they also followed me throughout the home exactly like my Minnie, I love it :smile2:

Minnie also wakes up early, but because she has never been in a cage, she just moves around to different places, also in my bed if she wanted to :yes:

On the other hand, she is very alert when I wake up, then she comes and looks at me - I lay on my back, she jumps up on my stomach and in this way we say "good morning" - every morning :hugs

When we are in our summer house there it will be very early light in the morning, then I can look out of "my eyelash" that she is lying and looking out the window.

She never wakes me up only if I sleep 1-1½ hour too long :biggrin2:

Minnie has done so since she was about 3 months.

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    When Layla was a litle puppy, she would wake at about 5:30 and whimper. I'd take her out to piddle and then bring her back to her crate. I'd go to work, and when my DS got up, she'd feed her. As she grew, she slept later. Now we sometimes have to look for her under the bed -- at noon!!! :lol:

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau was a 5 AM riser when we got him, which was great because he was potty trained from day 1 as long as I carried him out at 5 AM. He eased back to 5:30 and now at 19 months old he wakes up at about 6:30. He is extremely energetic but I found if he trains for awhile ech day, gets a long walk and follows me around the house, he is usually good. I think following around the house is tiring, and in fact when he was younger I tethered him to me for my household chores. Sonia Yin has a great article on building a relationship through keeping your dog tethered to you all day, its called Learn to Earn. It did really well for Beau (in general, but he is a handful and absolutely loves mischeif :))
    https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/the-learn-to-earn-program-implementing-the-program/

8. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    My puppy is 5,5months old and If you ask her, sleeping is a total waste of time:biggrin2:. If I let her in her crate(at night) she can 'sleep' longer-till 6.30:no: But if I let her free in my room she would sleep maybe for 4h. And after she will start to pace around the room. I will confess the first month was a killer for me because I slept only a few hours. She would stop only if I crated her. Now she is slowly beginning to take naps outside the crate during the day but I must take a nap too. If I go to another room she follows me.
    The other dog I have is not a sheltie and low to moderate energy dog and as a puppy he would wake up every day at 6am. But now as an adult he can sleep till noon, If I wake him up at 7.30am to go out he is watching me like I'm crazy:lol:. So I'm hoping for a miracle to hit my sheltie girl.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Daisy's Mom

Aug 25, 2017
    After reading all the replies, I see I am not alone. Thanks for your stories! It's nice to hear what others are doing with their active shelties.

I don't mind that Daisy is active since we are an active family and I wanted a sheltie so I could take her hiking and train her for agility when she gets older. However, I would like to enjoy 8 solid hours of sleep again one day. :Yawn:

I've tried putting her back in her crate after she piddles and letting her on the bed, but she has too much energy for both, so all I can do is leave her in the kitchen where she can play with the cats.

She should be getting enough activity. Her training class just ended, but she gets at least one long walk a day, car rides, follows everyone no matter what they're doing, plays with our other dog, and LOVES chasing the squirrels in our yard. My sister who has silken windhounds thinks it's the herding breed trait in Daisy that keeps her going. Her dogs get a big dose of exercise then pass out on the couch.

Hopefully her next training class will begin soon, which helps keep us busy.

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Our 1st Sheltie was an early riser she would never let us sleep in. She was relentless until we would get up.

I was determined to not let Shelby be the same. So when she was old enough we would ignore her when she would cry in her crate. We would take her out when we were ready to get up. It seemed to work because she never wakes us up. She allows us to sleep in as long as we want to.