Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Question about brownish skin around the eyes

Discussion in 'Show Grooming' started by blaiseshimmer, Sep 24, 2016.

1. blaiseshimmer

blaiseshimmer Forums Regular

Apr 16, 2015
    south TX
    Hi everyone; it's been a while since I posted. And if I placed this in the wrong forum, mods, please let me know and I can move it to the correct one.

I have a blue merle (almost cryptic) that just turned 10 months. The two of us had a nice time at his Beginner Puppy competition, but I haven't shown Kel since then due to my SI Joint teaming up with my Sciatica, plus a puppy that kept me wondering if he was heading to be oversized.

I FINALLY figured out how to make a wicket that shows that Kel has been steady at 15-1/2 inches, and his coat has decided to come in flowing in waves (we're learning that the forced air dryer is our friend). Ears still scare me since I think Kel can control them, flipping them straight like his Shiloh BFF one minute, classic sheltie tip the next.

Anyway, I also waited to show Kel since I needed to be able to trot alongside the dog, plus I want to see if Kel and me could go the NOHS route. There are two separate shows here in mid-October in Texas that I want to enter, even if just to see how well/bad Kel would fare.

But I have a problem...Kel's eyes, or specifically, the skin around his eyes. This is a picture taken last month of Kel covered in dried mud but with the skin around his eyes looking 'normal': https://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=421cafd8890bae186d9889752d9a603c#1474758787880

And this is a picture taken a few days ago: https://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=421cafd8890bae186d9889752d9a603c#1474758787880

The vet already checked him for allergies, scratching, etc, and came up with a blank. He's not showing any signs of irritation either. Both eyes have this reddish/brownish color. Knowing this will sound very superficial, but will it count against him? Or does anyone have any idea what this could be?

2. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    For some reason these won't open for me.

3. blaiseshimmer

blaiseshimmer Forums Regular

Apr 16, 2015
    south TX
    Each, I was just checking this on my phone; I totally forgot how to link pictures through shutterbox...one more reason for me to become a premier member.
    Let me see what I can figure out.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I think the settings for the picture are that only members can view - I don't have a Shutterbox account so can't view either.