Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Question on Sheltie height

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by SheltieStar, Oct 6, 2009.

1. SheltieStar

SheltieStar Forums Regular

Jun 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Currently our Jackson is 17 inches (maybe pushing 18") at 9 months. Since we are not showing Jackson for conformation, size is not an issue; I was just curious as to how tall he could actually end up being. Any ideas on the maximum height a Sheltie can reach?

2. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    I don't know the tallest sheltie height, but I do know they can get pretty big. Smudge's dad might put a rough collie to shame! I've never seen a sheltie that big before. :eek2: My first sheltie was probably about a little bit bigger than yours full grown (maybe only by an inch or two). I like taller shelties. :biggrin2:

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    i would guess that he wont get much taller. I'm definitely not positive, but I believe their biggest growth periods are up until 6-7 months. After that they just sort of fill out.

4. ruckusluvr

ruckusluvr Forums Enthusiast

My Ruckus is 19-20 inches, 43-45 lbs!

5. pattymaine

pattymaine Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008
    Maine
    how do you measure height?

Bailey is on the tall side, too, but I don't know how tall. How do you measure height? From where to where?

6. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    He's done most of his growing by now. You may still get a hair more in height, but it shouldn't be much.

7. SheltieStar

Jun 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow! That's a big sheltie - all the more to love.

I've enjoyed watching Jackson grow and change in his appearance. I must admit that when we got him at 4 months he was a funny looking little bi-blue. But he's turning into a very beautiful dog. (Of course all shelties are beautiful:smile2:) I can't wait to see what he'll look like when he's full grown and has his full coat.

8. SheltieStar

Jun 7, 2009
    Indiana
    With the dog standing on all fours, measure from the top of the dog's withers to the floor.

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Another member of the forum posted this link some time ago. Sorry, I don't know who posted it originally. This should give you a rough idea of what his height will be. It was fairly accurate in determining that Sadie would be oversized.

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Both mine slowed right down at 9mths - effectively their height at 9mths was close to their height now but with a small growth spurt around 12mths (around 1/4"). So its unlikely he will be much taller.