Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Questions for a breeder

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Well, still no Sheltie in the house. Wife did adopt a rescue pup, but we still want a sheltie. I've been looking around to find the names of breeders within driving distance of our city, and plan to contact a couple at the beginning of the week. We've never had a formal conversation with a licensed breeder before, so I'm not sure what questions I should be asking.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but could members suggest the sorts of questions we should ask the breeder? I want to make sure we deal with someone reputable and good with the dogs, and also try to make reasonably sure that we ask the right questions to get a pup that's likely to be healthy and also treated well. Heard some horror stories over the years, and left to my own devices, I'll end up not asking some of the right questions.

This has probably been asked before, so if someone wants to link me to an old thread, that'd be great too

Thanks.

Hanne likes this.
  2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    What I wanted to know:
    Why are you doing this?
    What traits are important, and what are you trying to achieve in your breeding efforts?
    How long have you done this?
    What type of health issues are you concerned about/encountered thus far?
    What kind of guarantee is offered for the health of your puppies?
    The breeder I chose wanted animals that were good with their farm animals. They wanted good temperament. Their shelties weren't skittish or shy, they were very friendly and personable. I wasn't after a show dog, I wanted a companion dog. I wanted smaller, as my previous girls were oversized. I noticed "top" breeders in my area seemed hostile when I was looking, which was so different from what I had encountered acquiring my previous girls years before. I wanted a good relationship with the breeder after the purchase. When I wanted a 2nd one, they were fine with me bringing Kaleigh so we could "choose", based on how she liked the puppies. I had never had more than one before. They guided me through the process. Which helped.

Can I just say I think it is great that you are to a place that you want to welcome another sheltie to your family. I remember from postings how tough it was losing Fasb.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Hanne likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Make sure your breeder is a member of The American Shetland Sheepdog Association.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  5. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Still is very tough. I still miss Fasb a lot even though it's been more than a year. I'm kinda in this weird place where I want another dog but I'm not sure I'm ready so I look around and talk to people but I drag my feet on it a bit.

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    But you are looking, and that is good. I bet finding that new pack mbr will come. It won't be Fasb. It will have a different personality, different quirks, and different endearments. Special in unique ways. I didn't think I could welcome another as soon as I did, but Kaleigh won my heart, and then I added Savannah, and they are the best for this part of my journey. Crazy lil monsters that aren't at all like my previous one's, but as loveable.

7. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    It is a good idea to begin looking even though you are not quite "there" yet. Often went one is finally ready, there are none to be had.!

tesslynn likes this.
  8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I would definitely ask how they socialize their puppies.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Annabellam

Annabellam Forums Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    I would definitely ask whether there are any health issues i should know about and whether they have given any sort of vaccines. There are so many cases of people who lost their puppies simply because they did not find this out. I think it's a really important question. They should also have evidence say on vaccines.

10. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Great post by Annabellam

Since Lil' Lady has a thyroid problem, and I understand that is hereditary, I certainly would ask about health problems in the line.
    I see more of the CKC instead of AKC registrations. CKC is not Canadian Kennel Club.