Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rally and Obedience brag

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    So Piper and I just got back from our very busy weekend in Thunder Bay and what a fantastic weekend it was! My little boy was terrific in both Rally and Obedience where we managed to get his Rally advanced title as well as his CDX (we got the CDX in 3 trials)! We also managed to get a High in Trial Saturday morning which was especially sweet considering the show secretary initially had refused to allow me to enter him in day of entry on Saturday because (according to her) we were 10 minutes late (should've been at 8 am said Bobbi...I have another name for her, also starts with a B lol). I said fine, enter him in the second trial...I then told our trainer (who is very knowledgeable in the obedience rules) and she went to the CKC judge who then went to see Bobbi (aka 'b' lol). She informed her (in a very stern voice) that she was wrong...A-she should've listed a time on the premium list and because the Rally and Obedience had two separate CKC numbers that they were two separate trials therefore one hour prior would be 11:30 Miss B then said she would concede and allow me to enter (said to me 'I don't know why you didn't just come to me...', un huh...I'm sure that would've helped ;). A very sweet victory indeed :biggrin2:!
    There was one scary incident (I didn't hear about it until after the fact)...in our second Open trial on the out of sight sit stay the Doberman beside Piper broke his stay and went up to him and was sniffing him...Piper moved his head but didn't break (apparently the stewards were very slow to react...a very poorly run event, a lot of in fighting within this club. I will definitely think twice about returning)...our trainer has a Belgian Malinois that Piper is best friends with so I think this helped immensely! Of course the judge was so impressed with Piper he told me that I have a prince of a dog:love:...He's that and more!
    The best part was this morning when we tied for High in Trial with our trainer!!! That was a blast! We had to do a run off so the judge had us do a heeling pattern where she had us walk into the wall (a lot of dogs anticipate a turn and start to turn instead of sitting at the wall), of course we train for this so it was no problem :). Of course the trainer is still the master and she beat me but we had so much fun and a big hug at the end and I gained a ton of experience at this show!
    I have video of his last Open trial and I'll upload it later after I've had a chance to unpack and rest :sleep:

Pam and Chris like this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I think he should have an extra special trophy :yes:

Thank you for your lovely story, I really understand you are happy and so proud.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I knew he would make you proud! GO PIPER!
    We are ALL so proud of you... (insert hand clapping here!)

Can't wait to see the video!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I am mega-impressed! Piper, you are a gem!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats- knew you would do great:yes:
    video- can't wait to watch:pop

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I agree 100 % Hanne and believe you me he got an extra special treat after that!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Here's the videos...they were recorded in small segments

heeling
    drop on recall
    figure 8
    retrieve on flat
    retrieve over high
    https://youtu.be/fI9b0BplKUM broad jump

Here's a few pictures of Piper with his training partner (our trainers dog) Diaz a Belgian Malinois...an incredibly sweet dog that Piper adores.
    https://imgur.com/a/JSzEa
    Piper did good but still a lot I need to correct...still crooked fronts and finishes and some lags in heeling plus things I need to do to make it cleaner. The more he learns the more I learn what method works best for him. Next step is Utility, probably be ready in the new year and then his OTCH

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Sorry, put heeling in there twice instead of the drop.

9. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Oh my gosh, Piper looks great! Congratulations and wonderful work!

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    very nice:yes:
    it's good to have a plan and goals...
    clips of each exercise are better- otherwise you end up with a 10 minute video:pop
    very impressed- still trying to get the drop on recall. Cran doesn't even have a dumbell- he can do the broad jump though:winkgrin:

Piper's mom likes this.