Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Reaching out for similar experiences re: new behavior of growling

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by MOZE, Jul 2, 2017.

1. MOZE

MOZE Premium Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Hi there- This is Moses.
    View attachment 12867
    He has been with us a month today. He is about 2. 31lbs. The rescue said he was an miniature aussie but he doesn't look like one and the vet said so as well. I think he sort of looks Sheltie like and likely he is a mix of whatever. I was hoping we could benefit from your knowledge even tho he's not 100%. His first health visit all tests looked great. He lets me do anything- handle his ears, mouth, cut nails, brush etc. He is also very malable.

The rescue I got him from is lacking in their information of his past. Ie there's 7 months unaccounted for. He was at a Humane Society in S. VA, Gate City but I've been told it was high kill so there is no way he could have been there for 7 months. I know nothing except for the week when I got him from the foster. To the best of her knowledge he was "shy" (turns out he's really scared and skittish), he was fine in a crate, (is not fine in a crate and yowls and barks), he is fine in a car and he is not. He really should have gone to home with other dogs. When we met him at the fosters home he was having so much fun and taking all cures from her 2 dogs. When I take him to a friends house her two dogs instantly put Moses at ease. In out house he is tentative, worried and sometimes seems really depressed.

Since day one he has been wary of people and just keeps his distance. He still isnt bonded with my husband after a month which is pretty terrible for multiple reasons. He sticks to me.

Onward to this behavior of "shy" dog who chose to just keep his distance when people come in our house (we have kept visitors to a minimum) to now he is staring to do a low growl at people in the house and on leash walks. There's no lunging or snarling but a low growl and a few barks. The worst display was I was laying down with a migraine and my mother who I MUST watch 2 days week bc she has early dementia was over. She walked into the room to see how I was and he ran towards her barking and growling. Thank God nothing occurred.

My question is has anyone had a new rescue who began to develop or maybe backslide? Is this him just gaining some confidence. If you have experienced this what have you done to over come? Unfortunately when he ran after my mother I yelled NO bc I was really shocked. I know the last think i ever want to do is scare him more and also to extinguish his growl which is a good warning to have.

Sorry this is so long. Thank you for any input.

IMG_0237.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    MOZE likes this.
  3. MOZE

MOZE Premium Member

Jul 2, 2017
    These are great links. Thank you so much for sharing them.