Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Regressing housebreaking in 9-mo old girl

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Janine’s Mom, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Janine’s Mom

Janine’s Mom Forums Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    Hi all. My Sheltie Janine had been perfect (note the word “had”!), housebroken by the time she was 3 months old. Yet now at 9 months, her toilet habits are growing more peculiar. (I’d thought it was about her having her first heat, but no, she’s done with it.) First, she wouldn’t pee until about 9-10 in the morning, almost 12 hours after her prior one at bedtime. My vet didn’t think that was odd. We certainly did ...
    Then she wouldn’t poo or pee unless we took her on a walk (note we have a 3/4 acre property!). Over the last two weeks, she’s peed in my home office, and then at a training session. She also had two poo accidents at home, even though she has had every opportunity to use the yard. She gives us no sign of wanting to go out (note we take her out frequently!). BTW, we never let her out in the yard on her own.
    Thoughts? I’d appreciate it!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Ah yes, the 8-11 month teenage rebellion. Some are defiant, some are just...peculiar. We learned we have to go back to basics -- crating, routine -- for a while until this, too, passes.

Janine’s Mom likes this.
  3. Janine’s Mom

Janine’s Mom Forums Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    Thank you! Good to know ... (we were thinking of UTI, taking her to the vet, but maybe we’ll just try to go back to basics first.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yup I second what Chris said...it's the dreaded teenager phase! My dog Piper would pee in the house even though he knew to ring the bell (his phase didn't stop until I had him neutered at 2 lol)...i never knew when it was going to happen but it's like he had the attitude 'meh...I'm just going to go now, don't feel like telling my hooman'. Just go back to basics, it will pass.

Janine’s Mom likes this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Around this age they have control over their "business".
    When Minnie was about the same age, she stopped with her "business" in the garden :gaah
    and would only do it- if we went for a walk.

So we started immediately a routine - I went for a walk with her - at least- morning and afternoon
    where we walk about 1 hour and a short trip before going to bed

Then she was/is happy and got her "business" done, a Sheltie must anyway out and read the newest "newspapers" :yes:

From that moment Minnie did not do "business" for approx. 12 hours at night.

In the morning, we eat breakfast at first, Minnie takes a little nap before she comes and tells me that we can now go for a walk.

Minnie are now 3½ Y and we still have the same routine.

I never use cages for my dogs, all my dogs have been housebroken in a matter of weeks - it is obvious that I are aware of the puppy.

I have never experienced any of my dogs having had relapses.

Go for walks with Janine - as she asks for and you'll see that the problem resolves itself

Ian & Danielle and Jams like this.