Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Regular Ear Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Torney907, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Torney907

Torney907 Forums Novice

Nov 29, 2016
    Hello!

Our vet recommended us to use cotton swabs to clean our 20 week old puppy's ears daily.
    (He doesn't like the solution method for some reason.)
    However, he is not getting used it at all and gets so aggressive when we hold him to put the cotton swabs down.
    (We got bitten multiple times to the point when the bite marks are bloody.)
    So, we are thinking of switching to the solution method and clean it twice or three times a week.

Do you guys recommend cleaning the ears regularly with solutions and can you recommend a solution product for the ear cleaning?

Thank you!!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I never clean inside the ears unless there is an issue. My first sheltie had recurrent ear infections so I did clean hers on a regular basis with a solution that the vet gave me. My current 4 shelties who have never had any problems, I might occasionally wipe the inside of the ears with a wet facial cleaning pad (wet with water).

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I've had the same experience as Callie'sMom. I only did regular cleanings when my boy had recurring ear infections. And even then, we used a wash. Put it in, let it settle (rub it in, don't let the dog shake its head for a few seconds). I do remember him learning to hate the ear washings, but luckily we didn't have to do it forever.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I had to do Callie's ears for several years- she got used to it but never really liked it.
    yes, put some wash in the ear, wait about 20-30 sec, rub/massage the ear, wipe out gunk with some type of pad- I used cotton makeup squares. She was really bad in one ear but I did both so I could keep the other ear from getting bad. She did get cookies when we were done so barely tolerated it.....
    Sometimes when she was really bad, we had to put medicated drops in her ears too.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Does he have an ear infection? I don't see the point of cleaning them out unless there's a problem already and I've never had a problem with my dogs' ears except once Deska got a grass seed. It would be different if you had a poodle or other breed with ears that flop straight down, the lack of air means the ears often get smelly and dirty. Shelties actually have the best designed ears of all breeds for preventing ear problems. Tipped at the end and hair at the front prevent dirt and debris blowing into the ear, and half pricked to allow air to circulate. So unless you have problems, forget the washing.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I have never cleaned ears on my dogs regularly, I look into them when they get hair combed just to be sure nothing is wrong.

You must never clean with cotton sticks (swabs?) - you may never go deeper into the ear than a finger can reach with a cotton pad.

When my German Shepherd grew older could well sit a little dirt, so a little bit of aloe vera gel on a pad and cleansed the ear as far I could reach with my finger.

Luckily , I've never experienced an ear infection on any of my dogs.

7. Torney907

Torney907 Forums Novice

Nov 29, 2016
    Thank you all for your replies. I don't know why our vet recommended daily ear cleaning and it was weird how I couldn't find anything online regarding this. I'm going to let my puppy be off of the regular cleaning for now.

8. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I have never heard of that either. The only time I have deep cleaned ears was after they run in really tall meadow grass. I always check for ticks, for grass seed, or debris. On my 1st sheltie our vet recommended smelling the ears, because any "off" odor could be signs of an infection. I softly wipe the ears during baths with a wash cloth but never used swabs on them. Is the puppy playing in mud, or running through a lot of brush, weeds, or wooded areas?

9. Torney907

Torney907 Forums Novice

Nov 29, 2016
    No, he is mostly at home or near the apartment. The vet said ears, eyes, and nose are the most important to keep the puppy healthy and suggested daily cleaning. I will save our doggy from daily torture despite what the vet suggested :D.

tesslynn likes this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    With all the cleaning the ears for no reason I would be afraid to irritate the ear.

Now it is very important to get his fear of cleaning the ears away. :yes:

- Personally :lol: I would say "see your ears" take a quickly look in his ear every day and say with happy voice "sooo fine" and give a treat :lol:- until he get confidence in you again.