Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Reluctance to go out to potty...

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by ghggp, May 12, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    IMG_6282.JPG

My sister's female senior sheltie Jasmine (on the right) is not going out to do her business in the morning.
    She refuses to go out when she gets up to let her out. Needless to say, she is getting frustrated with her. When you are preparing to leave in the morning for work and time is of the essence, it makes it difficult. She tries 3 times and still, she will not go out.

She has been limping lately and she has been on Rimadyl. My guess is she is in pain. Since she is older, possibly a ramp might need to be built for her to go up and down the stairs more easily. Just a guess.

She is having accidents in the house due to her reluctance to go outside!

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated!

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    First, how cute are they!?!

I don't have much experience with senior dogs, but my first thought is to test for a UTI. Maybe it is painful for her to go, so she avoids peeing until she cant hold it in any longer and then makes in the house? After she clears for a UTI, I would go back to potty training 101. If you sister can lift her, carry her outside and then use her favorite treats for when she makes outside.

Good luck!

3. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Has she tried carrying her outside? If that works than that might be an indicator it is the steps

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    This does sound more like a physical problem. I would get her checked out, and a ramp is a great idea to help her.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    When Lucky was here his eye sight was bad so I had to help him outside. Then I would lead him to the grass and tell him POTTY.
    Yep it gets a bit tricky when they get older. Lil' Lady is now 11 and almost 5 months. I have to remind her don't get distracted just
    go potty. She has me trained.

6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks everyone for you advice! I decided to take her to my house to watch her and see how she gets around.

The first thing I noticed is she was reluctant to go down my step to the backyard too. When she was at my sisters house she tried to go down the stairs with her left foot. As soon as she extended it and tried to go down the steps she backed off immediately. I gave her a pain pill at my house, recommend by the rescue, and within a few hours she was OK and climbing the steps. She seemed happy and more mobile with my boys.

I immediately knew it was her sore leg or wrist to be exact!

The steps at my sisters house are way deeper than mine so that is a problem. I explained to my sister she may need to have a ramp built for her and to carry her for now! So, thanks to all with your suggestions! They helped!

Cara Sandler and Hanne like this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Glad you figured it out :) I just wanted to chime in to say how cute they both are!

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Corbinan... thx a bunch...
    they are cuties and just so sweet!