Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Round 2 of beginner obedience for Baron!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, let me start out by saying... this new class is totally different than the last class! It would is with a husband and wife team and boy, are they good!

The first class was without the dog! We were told that there would be homework! The first day we got more homework than the previous full class I took before!

It was nice to hear them say, please do your homework! Your dog will give you away if you do not! Please do not waste our time or the class participants time if you are not willing to put in the time and effort!

The next morning the email was sent with all the required homework! Everything from a name recognition, touch, nail trims, walking on long lead - days 1/2, 3/4, 5/6!
    All materials came with YouTube video links!

These guys are not messing around! Worked Baron today on our homework!

Stay tuned...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Hanne, Cara Sandler and mimiretz like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that sounds promising:yes:

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's wonderful Gloria! Yup, I've heard many a trainer tell the class that your dog will tell on you if you don't do your part and many people's dogs did. I think a good trainer also inspires you to work harder and spend more time working with your dog. Good luck to you and Baron!

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, what a difference! When everyone arrived with their dogs for the first obedience class it was kinda hectic. To be expected as all the dogs are unfamiliar with the environment and all the dogs. That said, there were two totally unruly dogs! One was a small terrier that would NOT stop barking! NON-STOP! Poor Baron got completely unhinged by it. He cowered behind me! The owner made NO attempt to correct the dog in any way... just let it continue to bark. This went on for a few minutes until one of the trainers went up to the woman and asked her why she was not correcting her dog! Could not hear her response since she was on the other side of the room.

Obviously, she had no clue how to get her dog to quiet. The trainer took the lead and popped it quickly to get the dogs attention. He stopped for a second and then went back to barking. He popped the leash again. Again the dog started to bark! Finally, he took the dog walking up and down the gym to get it to focus on him with treats and praise. The dog stopped the constant barking!!!! I think the owner was in shock at how fast he got the dog to listen to him.

The other dog was a French Bull Dog that wanted to charge all the other dogs in the class. He corrected him as well! At one point he was walking the terrier and the bulldog together. Quite impressive! My point is, they WILL NOT put up with dogs misbehaving in class! What a relief! Initially, Baron would not take any treats from me. I know when he refuses them that he is too stressed out! By the middle and end of the class, he was more relaxed.

I was really proud of him as he did everything I asked! I am still having problems with him focusing when I call his name and for the WATCH ME command. He is so worried about what is going on around him that he won't look at me even with a food treat. The class size is HUGE! I am going to switch to the 8 pm class which is smaller to see if that helps.

We accomplished the 'Touch Me', 'Walk and Heel', 'Walk and Heel and Sit', 'Go On or Place' and 'Off' on an elevated surface, and 'Watch Me' commands. So far, so good!

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's wonderful Gloria that you have trainers who care how the dogs behave in class. When I had Piper in level 1 obedience HE was the one that barked and barked and disrupted class (trainer has kids riding their bikes up and down driveway). She told me to stop him and I tried but wasn't successful lol so she came up to him (and he was all of maybe 6 months old) grabbed him by his scruff and gave him a shake and said STOP IT! he stopped and she praised him....I was then able to stop his barking at decorations, mailboxes etc. (I'd never try this with an older dog). That trainer was a bit of a kook but she knew her stuff, if I hadn't taken that class I'd have a very different dog!

ghggp likes this.