Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sarah from Michigan

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Sarah, May 12, 2014.

1. Sarah

Sarah Forums Novice

May 12, 2014
    Ferndale, Michigan

Hello, all. My dear little male Sheltie, Caesar, is approaching 14 yrs of age in August. I am suspecting that he may have the condition dermatomyositis, which I have done lots of reading about. I know I need to visit my vet, but I have seen several posts that this condition is not widely known, so wanted to see if any of you have had experience with it, and what I might expect. The red flag has been alopecia to such a degree that large clumps of hair are coming off his back, from the withers to the hips, with a seborrhea like flaky skin exposing red skin. However, Caesar has always had a stiff, painful, limping gait; very weak hips and lax muscle tone. He also has a chronic hacking cough which from what I read could be due to his esophagus. Aside from bathing him with gentle botanical soap (saponified oil of olive, coconut, palm, tea tree, lavendar, peppermint etc) I have alternately dabbed bacitracin, red apple vinegar and lavendar oil on his skin. Other than all that, he is one happy, adorable guy; just a really lovely dog. Any thoughts?:confused2:
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Without seeing him, it is hard to tell. My first and only bit of advice is to get him to a vet, ASAP.

Could be DM, though more likely to me it sounds like thyroid issues.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL