Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Senior in NJ

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by danisgoat, Feb 15, 2015.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    How awful is this story?

Cross Posting: South Jersey.
    Hi, I'm Steve. I'm a 15 year old Sheltie and I'd love to meet you. My previous owners got a new puppy, so they brought me to a place to have me euthanized. I'm not sure what that means, but the people that greeted me there said that wasn't going to happen. I'm staying with a nice person that was working in the office that day until I can come home with you. If you are interested, you can contact my advocate Jen directly at 917-703-4328. I can't wait to meet you.

Attached Files:

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    our disposable society mentality strikes again...they shouldn't have a new puppy ...don't deserve pets imho

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    And sadly that new puppy will someday be a senior and then will get dumped too.

Trini

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I will follow the story. It looks like he is in a safe place right now. Not that I need more....but he only has a short time left. People stink. Poor baby is probably so confused. Who does this??????????

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    A lot of people do this. :no: Next to "moving" or "allergies" as excuses given for dumping a dog..."getting a new pup" and no longer interested in an older dog is among the top reasons we see little shelties (and other breeds) come into rescue. A very sad statement on human nature.

Trini

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Such behavior is unacceptable and incomprehensible. :gaah
    It is precisely our older dogs we love so much, and can not bear to think we might be losing them.

A little puppy is cute, but my older dog is indescribable lovable.

Uh, Trini I would be so mad if I saw the things you do, but thank god for so lovely people - just like you :hugs who help these defenseless souls.

7. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho

I agree!!!!!!!! I don't even get that, but then as I am aging I don't understand how the world is going:no: My older dogs slowed down, but I wouldn't ever of thought of getting rid of them due to age. I wanted to be there for their last breath & was. They meant the WORLD to me, and puppies, well, I am not thrilled with the stage, Kaleigh had her bday yesterday...she is 1 now, phew-and such a sweetie...and I can't wait until Savannah gets to her 1 bday. I enjoyed the time, but for me, it is just best when they grow up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    tesslynn -As I always say when I see a cute puppy: "I definitely do not have a puppy needs" :no:

I had a puppy needs 25 years ago when I bought my German Shepherd male. :yes:

I only buy a young puppy so I can influence its upbringing, the first 1½ years is a work, which generously rewards me for many years to come.

I love that moment when my dog and I understand each other without saying as much.

When this being said, I must say Minnie :hugs now 7½ months, is a very, very easy puppy, quick cleanliness, never destroyed anything, reasonable obedient and filled with joy and play.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How cruel and heartless...
    Anyone who does this should never be allowed to have a puppy!

I have rescued many shelties over the years and have never gone for a puppy or young dog. They always seem to get adopted first.

My love for the older ones knows no bounds. Their calm temperament and sweet dispositions win my heart every time.

Anyone who can help please do so...You will not regret it.

For a senior to live until 15 should be given the dignity, love, compassion and any medical needs fulfilled... He has earned it.

My prayers are he finds a home soon! :fl:hugs

Such a sweet face!

10. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    How awful!!!!!! Perhaps we should consider taking these people somewhere when they're old, because they won't be as cute as the new people who replace them (said with tongue in cheek - mostly)