Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Health Alert

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Ann, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Silaria

Silaria Premium Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Ann, thank you so much for sharing this information. Edan had to have his gallbladder removed when he was about 5 years old due to a mucocele. (You may remember my worry since I shared that 'delightful' experience with the forum.)

For those not here at the time, it started with Edan vomiting for nearly 2 hours then not eating ANYTHING! My food hound not eating means something it wrong. It took two weeks to find the source of the problem because nothing was showing up on standard tests like bloodwork. When my vet sent me to the emergency clinic for an x-ray and ultrasound, they found a blockage from a stocking he ate in his stomach. When they did the surgery to remove the stocking, they found the a mucocele. The doctor who did the surgery said I was very lucky because within two weeks it would have infected his liver and we may not have been able to save him. VERY SCARY and something I cannot forget. He had some guardian spirit looking out for him.

Caro, I'm so glad you took the initiative to have the dogs checked and found the problem with Tully before it reached the point Edan's did. I hope the medicines help her.

Ann likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you Silaria for sharing this information

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Gosh, thanks Silaria I hadn't remembered about Edan. I've been going through all the gallbladder threads but it only let me go back as far as 2012. She didn't eat grass this morning so I thought maybe the meds were helping, but I was just chasing a mouse around the house (long story) and found little piles of vomit behind a chair (I have rugs all over the house for her and she finds manages to find an uncovered spot on the carpet). The past weeks she throws up overnight. Kicking myself for not picking up on the signs earlier though.

Silaria, just read through the Edan thread (thank god for that obstruction). Has not having a gallbladder made any difference to Edan?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Silaria

Silaria Premium Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Don't kick yourself over it. As the article states, it really does masquerade as common illnesses. The signs are very easy to miss. The good news is you caught it and something is being done before it gets to serious.

I know. When is it a good thing he ate something he shouldn't have? I swear he had a guardian spirit watching him.

No having a gallbladder hasn't effected him in the slightest EXCEPT in maybe making his digestive system a little less sensitive to new things. He use to get diarrhea very quickly, not so much since then. While I didn't have to switch to a limited ingredient food, I opted to do so to make it easier on his digestive tract.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I spoke recently with my breeder about this issue, she's very familiar with it, although hasn't had her dogs diagnosed with it (Thank God!) She keeps up with stuff from the ASSA and mentioned that it seems to be more prevalent in sables....

Ann thank you for passing this on, such good information.

Ann likes this.
  6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh drat, it says they don't ship to Australia, the liquid I brought isn't working (she runs away and hides) and my vet doesn't stock the Blackmore dog's milk thistle. Milk thistle is not popular here, wonder if I can sneak it into the country... 2 days in a row of no grass eating and no vomiting so it looks likes the Ursofalk is working, or maybe it's the change in diet.

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro - if you find something you can use and it is sold here in Denmark, and one must take it into Australia - my daughter who lives in Perth coming to Denmark on Saturday for three weeks, so she could maybe take it to Australia and send it to you.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  9. who'dathunk

who'dathunk Forums Novice

Jan 29, 2012
    canada
    Hi, my 10 year old Sheltie, Vincent, was diagnosed with a GBM after after having a seniors wellness panel done which showed his bilirubin and liver enzymes were very high and his thyroid was low. We were not surprised about the low thyroid because he had recently started to enjoy cuddling under blankets and resisted being out in the cold. The other lab results were a surprise, because he showed no obvious symptoms. An ultrasound showed sludge and a mass inside his enlarged gallbladder. Along with his thyroxine , he has been taking Ursodiol 125mg/day broken into two doses, Milk Thistle and SaMe. The cost for all is about $2 per day in Canada. Lab work now shows normal ranges for bilirubin and liver enzymes. The ultrasound showed no sludge, but the mass measuring 1cm was still present and his gallbladder is still somewhat enlarged. I am happy with continuing the medical treatment rather than him having surgery to remove the gallbladder and hope the mass doesn't move and block any ducts. So, we didn't really win that war, but we are holding ground. I've read many studies online regarding mucoceles and it seems he has three of the major risk factors; he's a shetland sheepdog, is older and was hypothyroid. He has never been given any treatments containing imidacloprid.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Ann likes this.
  10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Milk thistle is super easy to get here. Let me know if you want me to get some and ship it to you.