Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie or Border Collie in Shelter in Terre Haute, IN

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by Sheltiemama, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Looks like a tri Sheltie to me in the pictures. Rescue called and the Terre Haute Humane Society Shelter people told her he is a BC.

I don't think I've ever seen a tri colored BC and I don't trust myself to give her good information.

So I'm passing this information along in case anyone is nearby and can actually go and look at this guy to determine what he is.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
  3. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I know someone at the sheltier. I will get ahold of her and see what I can find out. She usually deals with the cats but I am sure she can figure something out.

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Also looks like a sheltie to me.

5. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Is this the one you are talking about?

upload_2017-4-11_14-38-40.png

corbinam likes this.
  6. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Okay, so what I found out is there are two applications out there for this little guy. He his however heartworm positive. Also, they put mix at the end of every breed they get in because without papers there is no way to prove they are a purebred although he could very well be a purebred.

Cara Sandler and corbinam like this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for looking into it! Hope he gets well soon and one of these homes pans out.

Cleo2014 likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    he definitely looks like a sheltie:yes:
    there are tri border collies- it's apparently recessive in that breed so more like the bi black in shelties......

9. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Thank you for looking into this. The Sheltie rescue I told about him called and was told that he was in fact a Border Collie, definitely not a sheltie. He looked like a sheltie to me in his pictures but.......I couldn't be positive.

I'm delighted to hear that he has 2 possible adopters!! That's wonderful news.

10. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I talked to my friend who works at the shelter. She said a family that is in the process of adopting him has owned shelties in the past and they said that he was a sheltie. I also asked my border collie friends if he looked like a border collie and they both said no. One owns 6 border collies and the other owns 2. Someone at the shelter doesn't know what they are talking about and that really doesn't surprise me one bit. They are mostly college students that go there to volunteer while studying at ISU. I honestly don't find them very knowledgeable about many breeds but pits since that is all they normally have there. I went in there not long ago to have my boy micro-chipped and was asking them basic questions that they really didn't have an answer for. Oh and they also asked if Relic, my tri, was a border collie. So like I said I really don't think they know what they are talking about. They also have that reputation for not being very knowledgeable when it comes to a pure breed.

Cara Sandler likes this.