Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Puppy Number Two?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by roguskie, Jun 12, 2017.

1. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    So Pippi is nearly 3years old and our foster fail Lab x GSD has just turned 1. Im missing having a pup around. How have people gone with having a large breed dog and a sheltie pup? Thor is great with Pippi but im worried he would stand on a little pup.

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Is there any way you could take your lab to a puppy class or friends house to see the interaction to help you decide?

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    My daughter's 85 lb English Lab accidentally stepped on Phoebe when she was 4 month old. Broke her leg. Puppies are all over bigger dogs and don't know to keep clear.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    We have a member with Cadbury and a puppy. IMO the bigger concern is large breed puppy with adult Sheltie. My brother has a GS who as a HUGE puppy like to step on Sca. Sca hates him and he likes everyone..... well OK Sca avoids him as Sca just is not the hater. Spitfire on the other hand will go off on him so they get along fine. Buddy actually likes Spitfire but when Spitfire attacks he leaves him alone for a while. Sca is much to proper to give buddy a what for.

5. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    Perhaps more age and maturity on the large breed dog before getting a puppy?

There will be more management involved for sure in the beginning but the gentleness factor really depends on the dog's temperament. I do think the spacing may be a bit close. Labs especially take about three years to mature. You may miss a puppy but in a year that puppy will no longer be a puppy as well.

6. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    Thor is extremely gentle with Pippi and has been very good with foster puppies we have had although most of these have been large breed and around 6 -12 weeks old.
    I have a friend who possibly has a litter due beginning of July so might see how he goes with them.

7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    This is a slight diversion from the question of large breed with sheltie puppy, but how are LARGE shelties with tiny shelties? I am thinking of getting Beau a fur sibling when he is a bit older. He is great with all other dogs so far, but they do not live in his majesty's house LOL Beau is huge, a moose, and I am thinking I want a small sheltie next time because as I age big is just harder to manage. Any thoughts on this?

Pam, owned by Beau, 15 months

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I would not be worried when it is the same race - and Beau has become a couple of years older :yes:

"No, Minnie, even if I write this, you do not get a little sibling" :no:

mimiretz and Cara Sandler like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    poor Minnie:((

not sure how big Beau is- Cranberry and Jocu are in the 28-30 lb range, 17-18"height. we had no problems with Destin ~14 lb/14" full grown.....

Hanne likes this.
  10. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau is ~19 inches(i'm going to measure him to get exact and add to spreadsheet) and 42 lbs, he should be about 39-40 but gained some weight when recuperating over the winter from his leg injury.

Yes, poor Minnie.

Hanne likes this.