Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by ghggp, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I was bathing and grooming Logan this weekend and saw a few spots that are a bit concerning. Maybe not enough to run to the vet but concerning enough to post these pictures.

The first picture is of his tummy near his penis. The little black spots are what I am concerned about. Could they be like blackheads in humans?

The second photo shows his rear hocks. The area shows that hair is missing. The area seems to have dry flaky skin. It is identical on both sides of his rear legs. Maybe from how he is laying down? Put Neosporin on the areas where I could see the pink skin. The area is not bleeding... just dry and flaky with the hair missing.
    Logan has been on thyroid medication for over a year. Have not tested again to see if he needs a high dose. Logan is 12 years old.
    logan skin.jpg 2017-07-31_7-44-51.jpg
    Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like he may need a dosage increase. I have Beckon tested annually.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Pixie had spots on her skin like this for more than a year too. We tried treating the areas with regular medicated baths but I had to stop them when it became clear she hated the process. The vet then gave me a medicated spray to use on the area that did help, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. I don't know if it had anything to do with her thyroid, but we could not get rid of the spots unless I stayed on top of them with some kind of treatment. Perhaps something like that would help Logan.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, looks like trip to the vet is in order...

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    That kind of looks like what Lil' Lady had. What I used on her and it worked was Kroger Athlete Foot cream. It might take a bit
    of time but I finally got rid of her spot. The vet told me it was a fungus. The meds she had taken did not work on that spot, but
    the cream did. The vet is a good idea to see exactly what it is. They might do a skin scrapping.

Yes I had skin issues with my girl because of her thyroid but the fungus spot was a different issue. The Athlete Foot Cream was an
    idea of another vet from a friend who has pugs and they get fungus in their wrinkles.

tesslynn likes this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska has those kinds of spots, he's always had them, I figured it was just hyperpigmentation.

Could Logan be chewing that area when you aren't looking as it does look like lick granuloma. When Tully gets a lick granuloma it looks exactly the same. Could you put a loose bandage over the area to prevent the licking? I do this with Tully, she looks so pathetic and it doesn't stay on all day or all night, but she gets the idea to leave the area alone (well most of the time). Otherwise put something bitter on the fur around the area to keep him from licking it (not on the skin though)

As for what's causing it, can't help you with that, I'm still struggling with dermatitis on Deska's tail and belly. I think with Tully her granulomas happen when her grass allergy plays up or maybe she gets bitten by something. I do always have neocort or cortavance spray handy for the skin problems in this house. Recently I've been using Isaderm, which is an antibiotic/NSAID barrier cream - vet thought it was better than using cortisone all the time.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, I forgot to say that Pixie's spots were a fungus too...probably the same thing. Good idea to try the foot cream!

ghggp likes this.
  8. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I loved this cream because I thought it was a better then taking a pill. Lady will be 12 at the end of December.
    Last night she goes outside and plunks her butt in the wet grass. Oh thanks Lil' Lady ya gonna give me another
    spot to clean up? The older she gets the more hysterical she gets, too funny. She has to lay under the flowers.

ghggp likes this.
  9. labgirl

labgirl Premium Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Merlin gets something similar when he is itchy. I haven't noticed it in a while. The leg would worry me more as it looks very sore. I can't remember, but is Logan on steroids? I was looking up long-term side effects and skin problems like you describe are one of them. I would definitely pop him to the vets, hope he is ok.

ghggp likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have a vet appointment on Monday. Yes, he is on steroids...
    Will update this thread with results!