Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Should our new puppy get a sibling sooner or later?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Janine's Mom, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Fresno,ca
    I am in your shoes as far as introducing another dog to our home when I have done one at a time before. I did grow upIn a home with multiple dogs 1 1-2 years apart minimum seemed to be best. MY parents introduced a puppy to a four year old this year (both shelties). Twice they have had a collie with shelties. The sheltie being the older dog. Both great breeds.

My pup is hitting 1 1/2 and i am thinking anyyime in the next 2 years to introduce another dog. I am thinking i want him a little further in obedience training as he is just ready for distraction work and getting maturity. I am hoping anywhere between xmas and next summer as ideal for me.

Janine's Mom likes this.
  2. Janine's Mom

Janine's Mom Forums Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks, Calliesmom. I can now report I am definitely confused! ;)

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Caro. Unless you've tried to raise two puppies at the same time, you don't realize how much more work it is. For some reason, they never seem to teach each other their GOOD habits! But the bad ones they catch in a minute. :rolleyes:

My personal preference is to keep a year or two between puppies. You'll find that the puppy keeps the older dogs young too, which is an added benefit. And sadly, as I've found, you don't lose them close together either.

Janine's Mom likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    didn't mean to confuse you- just that you can bring a new pup home any time if you are prepared to work with both pups- together and individually....

Janine's Mom likes this.