Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sick puppy: Coccidia

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by mom2b, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Jade also had shots too early according to her records, she got shots at 5 weeks..

Goodness gracious, poor shay and all of the parasites!!!

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    If your little Kali is not improved today I would take her for a full vet check-up to be sure that coccidia is the only culprit...even though chances are that it is. As Ann mentioned in her post, long term negative issues can result if a pup is sick for an extended period of time and you don't want that for your little girl. You will have to decide how to handle this, I would be going to a different vet, but you have to go with what you think is best. Kali's health is the only really important thing here...as you have already said this is not about the money, it is about responsibility on the part of the breeder when she knew she was handing you an already sick puppy.

Many prayers for your little Kali. And keep her well hydrated...dehydration is a real possibility with constant diarrhea.

Trini

3. mom2b

mom2b Forums Regular

May 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hi all!

Got a second opinion, she should be getting better soon. There has been an improvement, I'm hoping she'll be like new by Monday, yay!

Thank you all for you thoughts and support!

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Good! Recovery is good.

5. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    That's great! I'm glad to hear that your baby is improving and will be back to normal very soon. Congratulations.

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Glad to hear that your new pup is doing better! It's also good to hear that you were able to get a second opinion. After reading your thread I completely agree with you.

If that had happened to me I would have felt distinctly taken advantage of, whether I could comfortably afford the medication or not. Personally if the bacteria was a known issue and it was reasonable to suspect the puppies would get it, I feel that should have been explained from the start, as well as going over possible treatments and giving you the option from the start of leaving the pup there longer until she had at least gotten a good start on treatment.

I would have no faith in her as a vet myself, even if she is a good breeder. I think you took the right steps, quietly bringing to her attention that she's not acting in the best of faith, and then stepping away from the situation.

Hope your girl recuperates quickly and you two can get on with having a ton of fun!

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It is good to hear that little Kali is improving...hopefully she will be all well soon.

Trini

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    How is Kali and her tummy doing?

9. mom2b

mom2b Forums Regular

May 17, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hello!

I apologize for replying sooo late; my family came to visit and meet the new family member.

Kali is totally recovered from her Coccidia and has no more runny stools :) She's great with her potty training no accidents in WEEKS.

I am babysitting her brother for the weekend too, so Ill post pictures later :)

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Great update on Kali...and what fun to have her brother visiting for her to play with! :smile2: Enjoy the puppy antics!!

Trini