Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sileo

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Cara Sandler, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    So Spirit is absolutely a train wreck whenever there is thunder. She completely loses her mind, running around barking and can not be distracted even with the very highest value treat in the world. A friend told me about Sileo, which is a new medication on the market for things like thunder phobia. We tried it out for the first time tonight and so far it has made a big difference. Spirit is still a little nervous about the thunder, but she is sitting calmly, watching the rain. She accepted a trachea to chew on and is now napping. I don't expect it to fix everything, but it at least creates a situation that Spirit can work on some training during thunderstorms, and start building positive associations. I highly, highly recommend it. And yes, I know that essential oils and melatonin and thundershirts might help some dogs, but they did NOTHING for Spirit. So if you have a dog who really suffers when it is thundering out, it might be worth a try.

Chris likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Wow, does she seemed stoned?

3. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    No, she doesn't seem stoned at all. Just calm.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I haven't heard of that....
    a friend used Xylkene with her noise/thunder reactive dog- seemed to help.....

5. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    That wouldn't work in this situation - I don't necessarily know a day on advance when I'll need it. The Sileo takes effect in under an hour.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is good to know...
    I'm pretty sure that she didn't give it 24 hrs in advance- mostly as soon as she could......

Cara Sandler likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Gotcha :) I'm really happy with the Sileo so far. It's the only thing that has had any effect at all. I'm sure Spirit is happier too :)

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    thunder reactivity is no fun- especially during the summer in the south :rolleyes2::gaah
    yay for a dry night and we got to go to practice:smile2::yes:

Cara Sandler likes this.
  9. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    DEFINITELY yay for a dry night! Our agility school is literally underwater this week :-(

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It's terrible to see our baby suffer so terrible without being able to help and also do not think it's healthy.

Cara I really understand that you tried Sileo it is obviously developed exactly for the purpose you needed :yes:

- Attenuation of acute anxiety and fear in dogs caused by noises -

- It's a drug - people really need to read the user manual before use !!!!!!!!

- this only written to people who "just pass by" not just buying and using without being aware of all the side effects.
    In danish http://www.medicintildyr.dk/produkt.aspx?produktid=1465

Fortunately, now is Minnie not really afraid of thunderstorms / fireworks, so until now
    - Bach's Rescue Remedy - has helped her

Cara Sandler likes this.