Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sileo

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Cara Sandler, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- I wondered how y'all were making out down there- guess it's good for how dry it's been there but too much at once is just as bad...
    timing of our rain has made practice not happen for several weeks now. it was great to get out last night and do something :winkgrin:

Cara Sandler likes this.
  2. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    You know, I wondered how well those thunder shirts worked. So far I have not needed to use one. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I know a lot of people say they work - but a lot of people have found that they don't. I really do think that the underlying emotion makes a difference - some dogs are scared, while others are just aroused. And honestly, I think sometimes it is just that the owner is expecting it to work, so they are calmer, and the dogs pick up on that. I'm not convinced that it would show clinical efficacy in a head to head study with placebo (and that would be incredibly impractical to do anyway). BUT I know that this type of thing works in humans with autism or other types of similar disorders, so while I didn't see any difference at all with Spirit, I am also unwilling to dismiss the idea entirely.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Now Minnie is not afraid of a thunderstorm / fireworks, so I have not tried a thunder shirt - if she was I would try one.

When Minnie was sterilized, she had a baby tank-top on, and when I could not keep an eye on her all the time, I tightened it on her back with a huge long plastic bag lock

I discovered that whenever I closed / tightened her top she was otherwise calm than usual even fall asleep

Sometimes when she needs to do something she does not like, she likes i keep her close into me and she close her eyes :confused2:

So I do not want to rule out that a thunder shirt would / would not work until I had tried one. :smile2:

Cara Sandler likes this.