Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Stinky butt

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by sherry512lea, Aug 30, 2012.

1. sherry512lea

sherry512lea Forums Novice

Aug 30, 2012
    us
    We adopted a 2 yr old female Sheltie from a county run pound one year ago. She is our 2nd Sheltie. She has ALOT more hair than our previous one. This little girl for some reason never ever wags her tail and has it down almost all the time. When she has a bowel movement just a bit always seems to get on her hair. She has 2-3 movements every day. I took her to a groomer that shaved the hair around there, but that hasn't helped at all. You don't notice it till she sit close to you and then she is always stinky! Short of washing her constantly does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

search for 'poop chute' on here....
    here's one <http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=4031&highlight=poop+chute>
    it's pretty common problem.
    also, baby wipes help!

3. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    SC
    I have 3 shelties here,and only 1 requires a poop shute,and a fairly wide one becuase of the same issue.

So I would ask your groomer to go a bit wider,and do some thinning a bot in the underside of the tail.
    Baby wipes
    Waterless shampoo spray
    And just be diligent about checking under the tail,like every time the pup goes,to give a quick clean up.

4. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    If the fur around her rectum has been trimmed and cleaned and it still smells she may need to have her anal glands expressed. Some times they can become clogged, which leads to a fairly nasty odor.

A groomer will often express the anal glands if you ask, or you can have a vet do it.

Just a warning though, she'll need her rear end washed afterward if she does need her anal glands drained, what comes out of the glands smells quite literally 100x worse than what you're smelling now.

This is a good thread posted a little while ago about a sheltie with a similar, but more severe problem than what you're describing.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=13027&highlight=anal+glands

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. Maida

Maida Forums Regular

Jul 31, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I think actually I would go to the vet to have him check her anal glands and see if there may be anything going on with her. I am concerned that she is so young and never wags her tail. I would expect after a year with you she would be wagging her tail sometimes. So I am wondering if there is something going on with her that maybe hurts and that is why she still doesn't wag her tail. I hope things clear up and she does start wagging. Good luck with your little sweetie. :hugs

Maida, owned by sweet Christopher, sweet Ritchie and my eight wonderful little precious Sheltie angels

6. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

Agree with the last two posts.

No amount of grooming is going to deal with a dog in need of anal express or chronic diarhhea.

In my experience, I have NEVER had to had anal glands expressed on any of my dogs. That doesn't say that it never happens, but if it is happening regularly, then I think you want to be looking at diet. Same with diarhhea. If its chronic, then there is something else going on.

As for grooming it when it does happen. I find baby or pet wipes are the best line of defence if you can get it when it's still wet (ick!). Once its dried on, your only options are a butt batch or snipping out with scissors. Scissors only work if they are larger clumps. If its just staining, then bathe you must!