Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Stranger danger - in the bathroom!!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    So, last night we have another couple over for a BBQ, and Faith and Brooke know them well, in fact, they go with us over to the other couple's house when we go there for events. Some barking of course when they arrive but everyone settles down waiting and hoping for dropped food.

Then, the nerve! The other man gets up and uses the restroom down the hall. When he opens the bathroom door and proceeds back down the hall, it was like a 3 alarm fire from Faith. BARK! Where did you come from?!? BARK!! And, the same thing later on when the woman used the bathroom. Honestly!

Ally used to do this too but this is the first time Faith has done it. Our petsitter said she had to leave the bathroom door open even when she was showering or Ally would have a fit. :rolleyes2: :lol:

SIGH. I don't get it! I guess I'll have to keep treats in the bathroom for people to give the girls when they magicallly re-appear? :confused2:

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've never had that happen but just today I took Piper to the mall to do some obedience work so I park the car and as I open my door a lady starts to walk up to the passenger door of the car beside me. I was going to wait but she waved for me to go so I step out and call Piper...he jumps out and proceeds to bark full boar at this lady (granted her dress was very 'busy')! And last week at the obedience trial he was napping while I was watching some conformation when he woke up and started barking at them, I had to take him outside...told him he woke up grumpy. Our sweet, lovable but untrusting Shelties! Gotta love em!

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    When I had a roommate, Bentley would do this when the roommate came back downstairs--even if it had only been a minute since she went upstairs! I don't know if he didn't remember, or if he was just making sure his herd was back together again? Who knows!

4. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    My 2nd beloved Sheltie RARELY barked, it just wasn't in her. She made sounds( whining-she had the Lassie thing going to communicate & uffing) but not a full fledged bark. When she did BARK it was obvious something was amiss and it was like GET OUT HERE, or WATCH OUT. If she barked at someone on a trail, I heeded. Especially with men, I steered clear of them. She adored men, don't get me wrong. But I knew she picked up on vibes with people. My girls have all been great judges of character and I trust their "untrusting" behaviors.

** I loved the "he jumps out and proceeds to bark full boar "(y);):)

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon barks when people first come in the house, which is pretty normal. Most of the time he then settles down, and depending on who it is either demands their attention or goes back to whatever Sheltie thing he was doing before (napping or playing). However, with certain people if they get up to walk into another room he goes back into full-scale alert barking -- it's okay when they're sitting and talking, but they absolutely cannot stand up! This only applies to certain people, and only at certain times. Which people and what times are only known to Oberon, and I'm sure are perfectly logical to him, even if they make no sense to anyone else.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Absolutely the same with Minnie and some think she's untrained and crazy
    - then I may tell them that she is definitely not

7. Cyllian

Cyllian Forums Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Nebraska USA
    I know Jester tends to bark at my brother in law and my daughter in law if they stand up once he has settled down. Yes the more it is bad they stood up not just the talking to them so to speak or the excited kind like lets play bark. My take on it has been that because they are tall the sudden standing is seen as some how a threat. Husband's brother is 6' 3" or so and daughter in law is around 6 feet tall. He gets excited if our son stands but not defensive about him standing. Jester was a puppy when son moved out perhaps he still equates him with pack.

Perhaps it is the sudden appearance of a non pack personage that warrants the alert type of bark in the case of the bathroom.

8. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    When someone leaves, our shelties loose a sheep. They must bark at the sheep to keep it there.

9. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Whenever anyone leaves, including the traveling vet, we always have to hold onto Oberon because he tries to nip at people's feet to keep them from leaving.