Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Submissive peeing help?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Clover_DrogoMom, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Clover_DrogoMom

Clover_DrogoMom Forums Regular

May 20, 2017
    Hey y'all!

So I have an almost 8 month old Sheltie/Afghan mix. He's mostly potty trained (yay) and pretty well behaved for a puppy. However, I'm finding some particular behaviors that are vexing and I'm not really sure how to fix it. Everytime a new person comes in the house, he pees. Not out of fear, but excitement. But also, if my husband or I get onto him about something, and we pet him/talk to him after...he pees. He doesn't pee while getting in trouble. I hope I'm explaining this correctly. He does not mark anything ever (nor does he lift his leg to pee). He also pees in fear (of the vet mostly). He's a super sweet puppy, but has the Sheltie anxiousness. Also, due to being very sick when he was younger, we got complete vaccinations later and don't go out as much as we should. I realize this could be a big part of it. We need to get him neutered soon, I would like to within a month or so, and then I'll be completely comfortable taking him everywhere. I need help y'all! How do I deal with all this pee this dog produces???!! Lol.

2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    He probably peeing of submissiveness / uncertainty - at the same time Sheltie/Afghan is a mixture of two total contradictory characters - Therefore it can sometimes be difficult for him how he should react

It does not help to neutered him now.
    I would wait a little for him to become more confident - can be a hard job, but it will be worth the job.

Why not take him out immediately and make him socialized ?

3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm the proud owner of a leaky dog - I have a 10yo female Cocker, and they are notorious for having this problem. I'm also proud to say that, in the almost-four years that we've had her, she has gotten much, much better... but it has been a team effort on the part of everyone who loves her.

First, good news! It is entirely possible that he will grow out of this problem. Males tend to gain better control as they mature; it's the females for whom it tends to be a lifelong problem.

Next, set firmly in your mind that his urination is totally involuntary. It sounds like you are already thinking this way, but it's really important that you always remember that he can't help himself. It's a reflex. If you've ever tried to stop yourself from blushing... it's like that.

Because it's totally involuntary, submissive urination is something that you can't really train a dog not to do (since they aren't choosing to do it). It's something that you need to learn to manage. As you get better at managing it, it will happen less and less, and as your dog gains more maturity and confidence, he will experience the submissive reflex to pee less and less.

Unfortunately, many owners can get into a cycle where they are exasperated with their dog's submissive peeing. They don't mean to get exasperated... just as the dog doesn't mean to pee... but these wonderful, sensitive dogs pick up on our feelings, and it makes them even more likely to pee. That's why it's so important to break the cycle and be as neutral as possible when it happens.

When new people visit... make the greetings as absolutely neutral as possible. Ask your guests not to even look at your puppy. Let him noodle around and do his thing, while they pretend he isn't even there. After he's calmed down, they can try paying him a little attention... but they may need to go through the visit without looking at or speaking to him. You may even need to have him somewhere else when they first come in (maybe have your husband take him for a walk around the block, so that when they return, the guests are already inside).

After he's done something naughty... it sounds like he is peeing to appease you. My girl does this, too: it's like she's saying, "I'm sorry Mom, I won't do it again", which is exactly what I think your puppy is trying to say, too. Again, try to be as neutral as possible while you're "getting onto" him.

I have no idea what your puppy's unwanted behaviors are, but it sounds like even though you don't mean to be harsh, he is very, very sensitive to you "getting onto" him. You may need to get creative and find ways to shape and manage his behaviors that don't trigger his "I'm sorry" reflex.

Finally... go ahead and socialize him as much as possible! I see no reason why he can't go out and about before he's neutered. Take him to a good, positive puppy obedience class. Give him opportunities to feel good about himself. Build his confidence, and let him learn that he is a cool little dude who can handle himself in the world. This confidence-building will be so good for him, and it will also help him to grow past the submissive urination.

Clover_DrogoMom and Hanne like this.
  4. Clover_DrogoMom

Clover_DrogoMom Forums Regular

May 20, 2017
    Thank you so much! I hope he grows out of it.