Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Surgery for Layla the Therapy Sheltie

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Chris, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla the Therapy Sheltie is undergoing bilateral elbow surgery Wednesday, June 8th, at Veterinary Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Group. The repair will enable her to continue to serve Wounded Warriors and their families for years to come. The surgeon, Dr. Sherman Canapp, will remove debris and bone spurs from the joints and do PRP: Platelet Rich Plasma regenerative therapy to enhance cartilage growth. She'll have rehab for 90 days and, God willin' and the creek don't rise, be back to top form by fall.

Meanwhile, I've purchased a splendid pet stroller so she doesn't go stir crazy at home!

Please whisper a prayer for a successful outcome.

Attached Files:

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Prayer whispered :)

3. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Prayers coming your way dear Layla! Your job is so important and you give so much of yourself! We need you happy and healthy to continue your important mission! Stay strong! What a beauty you are!

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Poor Layla, hope it all goes well. It is so stressful when our pups have to go through surgery, and orthopaedic surgery is tough. I will be thinking of you both, I know it will be a stressful time for you too. Heck I'm nervous!

Last time I saw the ortho vet about Deska and his elbows she said stem cell surgery was best done with the debriding. But Mr D had a tough recovery from his elbow surgery so I don't plan putting him through it again (mind you, I think he would've done better if the surgery was in the warmer months and not winter). But I'd be really interested in knowing how the PRP goes.

Great idea to get a stroller, she'll really appreciate getting out and about, and the are dang useful as they age. Just make sure you have her tied in tight - Deska thought he was superman while he was on the fentanyl patch and leapt out of the stroller.

Please keep us posted with all the details - I'll be watching closely and nervously until I know she's doing okay. You're a long way away and yet I feel like Layla is family, I guess because with the elbows and her age she's like a girl version of my Mr D.

Chris likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Caro, we've been through so much together, I feel like you're family, too. Thanks to you and to everyone for the support.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Chris, count me in on sending good thoughts Layla's way this week and during her recovery.

7. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Premium Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Keeping you, Layla and your whole household in my prayers.

Please give Layla a hug and a treat from us. Thank you.

8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    If she tours with the stroller I am betting the vets will pet the fur clean off her

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I agree:yes:
    Layla will come through just fine and get super spoiled during recovery

10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Layla, you, and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!