Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Teaching Drop on Recall

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    So I'm working with Piper on his work for Open and Utility...he loves his jumps and his dumbbell (our trainer is making the articles now), his off leash heeling is great but the one thing that gives us issues is his drop on recall. I do random drops with him, I also will throw something and have him go down at a distance etc but when I say 'down' he will travel up to 3-4 feet! Even when practicing a down from a stand from a distance (for Rally) he will travel 2-3 steps before going down. Has anyone else had a similar problem? My trainer said to work on his moving stand/stay and this will help him understand stand/stay means stop and it will help with the drop but I'm just not seeing any results. Thanks!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You just kill me!!!
    Gezzz, I am just trying for long sit and down stays!

Boy, do we have a long way to go!!!

Good luck on the drop recall! Wish I could give guidance but not near where you are in training!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Don't know if you have seen this or if it might help...
    But, figured I'd give it a shot

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Thanks Grace, it can be a little overwhelming, so much to teach now it seems (although I'm sure I'd of thought the same thing if I knew 2years ago what I know now)! But I've got all the regulation jumps only cost me about 100.00 to make them out of wood), couldn't believe the cost of the articles...they were 120. I should've been doing more of the open earlier lol.
    The video was great, thanks...I hadn't seen it. I do use a board to stop him but I'll try with the broad jumps instead.