Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Barking must stop! Please help!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by emmygirl, Jun 11, 2010.

1. emmygirl

emmygirl Forums Enthusiast

May 4, 2009
    DE
    My Keely is just 15 months old. She has been in numerous classes (obedience, rally and agility). We work nightly on something. I just cannot control the barking. She barks at Mailman, fire trucks, cars beeping, trash truck, cats, squirrel birds and so forth! ANYTHING that moves! (and we live in the city!) The most annoying is the TV! She can't sit in the same room with the tv on. Comercials just set her off. She spins and barks at anything moving in TV: baseball players, hockey, dogs, children you name it!!! I am off all summer (a teacher) and this is our goal! Getting it under control.

She also barks non stop at pleople in the swimming pool. She circles and cirles the pool, whining and barking. I am not sure why. (not sure if she wants them out or if she wants to get in). I really don't want her IN the pool. I don't want her getting near it when she is outside by herself. Please help. I am having people over in 2 weeks and I am worried she'll be crazy again.

2. jerros

jerros Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Shelties do love to bark....though there are a number of things you could try to help your specific situation.

1) The first thing to try would be to train your dog the "Speak" and "Quiet" commands. Seeing as how your dog likes to bark, the speak command should be something you can easily teach, the quiet command will be slightly more difficult.

Here are links to a few different methods to teach quiet: http://www.findoutaboutdogs.com/Stop_Dog_Barking.html
    http://www.wikihow.com/Quiet-a-Barking-Dog

2) You can also try distracting your dog with a loud sharp noise when they bark. It's up to you to find what kind of noise that might be. A horn, bell, coins in a can....

3) Hire a personal dog trainer for a consult. It'll probably cost you about as much as a no-bark collar would and will likely get the same if not better results.

4) No bark collars. Please don't use a shock collar on your dog, there are a number of non zapping collars you can use, there are ones that vibrate, ones that spray citronella in the dogs face when he barks, and ones that use sound. These collars pretty much preform the same function I mentioned in #2, which is to distract your dog with something he might find unpleasant or unexpected every time he barks.

If you've tried all the above solutions and still have problems, then there is one last thing you can try and that's de-barking. This is surgery and effects your dog permanently, so this should be an absolute last resort to your dog barking problems and not a "quick fix".

3. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    The Bark and no Bark commands are the most effective long term. But are difficult once the pup is barking at everything. Start with teaching him bark, that should be easy because he is barking at so much. You are going to have to catch him quiet and "mark" the behavior. I use "yes, good boy" as a mark.

Try clicker training. Most people have great results with it marking preferred behavior. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, let alone try and shape a pup's motion, give a verbal command and "click!" but I believe it truly works.

You CANNOT yell while your pup is barking because it is considered by your dogs as you joining in the fun. You must remain calm and you must use the same command every time.

These shelties of ours understand and try and figure out subtle differences, it is where you will hear people say, they are smarter than me! You must be clear cut with this No Bark command.

So you must take a lot of time, have a lot of patience and be consistent.

They can learn it. Good Luck and keep us posted

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tough call, some dogs just really love the sound of their own voice.

I have vibration and ultrasonic collars for Deska. I tend to use the ultrasonic more but the vibration collar definately shuts him up quickly - only problem is he is a bit sensitive and finds the vibration a little harsh. But I would recommend the vibration over the citronella (heaps cheaper).

I dont think I will ever cure Deska of barking, but he has gotten better as he gets older. Thats also why I keep the bark collars on hand, when he starts getting barky I use the collars for a while when he goes outside and he gets the idea and settles down. A couple of days reinforcing things with the collar and he is great. Maybe its time to try something with Keely.

The swimming pool will be hard because a lot of dogs do the same.

5. RonandJan

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    Yes, I had forgotten the mention of the pool. I am dreading the pool this summer. McKinley was too small last year during pool season. He has already been running at it like a nutcase chasing the frogs that live on top of the tarp. No barking yet though.

Cleveland never did get over barking and herding the kids in the pool. It just totally flipped him out. We just made him stay inside.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I'm have some barking issues with Bailey too. She is not too bad with noises in the house. Thankfully, she doesn't bark at the hair dryer or the coffee bean grinder, etc. She will bark when I vacuum and sweep, but when I say "enough", she stops.

Her issue is barking in the yard. Houses are very close together where I live. I have neighbor's next to me and behind me. Bailey will bark her head off if my neighbor's are outside. I've tired saying "no bark" and "enough". I've tried shaking a penny can and I've tried squirting her with water. Nothing seems to work. I usually have to catch her and carry her inside because she won't respond to the "inside" or "come" command. Sigh....

7. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Premium Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Reading about the barking issues with the dogs, I guess I am blessed with my dogs who don't bark unless there is a reason and who listen when I tell them to be quiet. I have no idea how this happened with them falling silent when told. They just knew from the tone of voice. emma so far is a very quiet dog and is just starting to find her bark. Noah didn't like the squirrels who teased him. He also didn't like windows being opened or closed. My dad never wanted to correct him but I would also quiet him with a voice command. The same if I was around when Mom took her pills - she is on warfarin (rat poison) and digoxin (also another poisin in high doses). He seemed to sense that she was taking something that could potentially harm her and bark. He would be quiet if told.

8. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Phebe's never been an out of control barker, but she does have her moments. Talking to her in a calm voice is the best way to calm her.

When she is barking from excitement because I've just come home and let her out of the crate, I say, "Yes, I'm happy to see you, too. Thanks for watching the house while I was gone."

When she is barking because the neighbors are out in the front or back yard or the door bell rings or the UPS man comes to the door, I say, "Thanks for keeping track of what's going on."

As soon as I have her attention, I ask her to sit and often we do a brief 30 second obedience routine -- front, finish, down, heel -- I mix it up depending where we are at in the house and how close we are to the nearest treat bag. :lol:

For me, it's as much about me remaining calm and nonreactive to her barking as it is about getting her to stop. She feeds off even the slightest bit of frustration or excitement from me. If my voice is too loud or high, I'm telling her there's a need to continue sounding the alarm. If I'm confident and calm, she settles.

9. RonandJan

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    Yes, I think this is a key to it. The pups are really sensitive to our voices and intonations.

10. emmygirl

emmygirl Forums Enthusiast

May 4, 2009
    DE
    annoying around the pool

My husband and I are trying to work with her when all is quiet late at night and it seems she is fine then (on leash and so forth). The problem is when the kids come and jump in laugh and splash. You know NOISE! When they go under the water and she goes nuts.