Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Barking must stop! Please help!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by emmygirl, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Belladora

Belladora Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010
    Rowlett, Texas
    So far Bella does not bark about the pool, however Sprocket (RIP) used to. He would try to heard the pool sweep and he would run circles and bark and many times lost his footing and fell in, but he would quickly make his way to the steps. When the kids would go off the diving board he would go nuts untill he saw their heads pop back up. I think its a protective thing and a hearding thing all wrapped up in one giant barking fest...

2. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I feel your pain, I really do. I'm trying to get control of my girls barking right now, although I don't think either one has the issues that you're trying to deal with.

I think Jerros has some great tips, which I'd like to add to.

I just want to mention that I'm personally not a fan of teaching a sheltie the 'speak' command, since they're so prone to bark anyway. But that's just me. Also, my girls both know what 'hush' means but it doesn't mean they always stop.

I tried this also with both of mine, it didn't work for me but I believe that others on the forum have had luck with it.

It sounds to me like you have a very excitable dog. What I'd recommend in the house for barking at the tv and for around the swimming pool (both of my dogs do this also) would be leashing her next to you and making her lie down. When she jumps up and barks make her lie down again and give her a high value reward for calming down. Lying down in itself should help her calm down and the treating should reinforce it. Also try relaxing her by gently pushing her on her side and giving her a slow massage or belly rub.

Any time she goes crazy barking, try making her lie down and treat her for being calm. If she's not on leash try not to chase, her, as that will just heighten her excitement.

Also, about the pool. My dogs used to also do this around a hot tub. I don't understand why they do this exactly, but with exposure they did get used to it eventually. I almost think its anxiety; they're not sure if you're drowning or not.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Also a good idea. I may have to look into something like this myself.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I had trouble with the spray bottle in the yard because you have to get very close to her. Bailey would stop barking when she saw the spray bottle, but continued to bark if I was in the house or no where near her. The spray bottle has worked great inside my house or when she is on leash.

I tried something new last night. I "borrowed" a clown (or bicycle) horn from my job. It's a pretty annoying sound. I said "No bark" and then pressed the horn. As soon as she heard it she stopped, so I praised and treated her. It seemed to work. She stopped barking for a few minutes. I did it again and she stopped. I'm going to continue with it. Hopefully, I'll see some great results in a few days. I can also just open my sliding door and blow the horn, which is much easier than a spray bottle.

5. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    That's why the spray bottle is supposed to be hidden, so they can't anticipate when they might get squirted. You could also keep her leashed while you're working on the barking, so that she's never too far from you.

I used to have these two great little water guns that I kept for years and am now kicking myself for giving to good will. They were tiny, but like miniature super soakers. They squirted really far! Doh!

For being quiet in the yard, my trainer recommends practicing being quiet outside by bringing them outside with a stuffed kong. I've not yet tried this approach, but plan to. She said to do this a few times a day.

6. emmygirl

emmygirl Forums Enthusiast

May 4, 2009
    DE
    Like the horn idea (will try it). We tried the pennies in can, water gun and the spoon banging on a pot idea: nothing! I have tried the leash and treat. That is working better but I am afraid she will hurt herself in a choker or Prong collar. All other collars she slips out of or does not respond to.

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I've tried hiding it, but even when hidden and I get near her, she knows it's coming. I want her to be able go in the yard by herself and not bark her head off if the neighbor's are outside.

8. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you tried a martingale collar? I wouldn't use a prong collar on a sheltie, if possible. This is what it looks like.

http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/martingale.html

Shelties are just too smart for their own goods, aren't they! :rolleyes2:

9. emmygirl

emmygirl Forums Enthusiast

May 4, 2009
    DE
    I do but she has escaped out of them before

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Premium Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Emma had a compliment paid to her tonight. Our neighbour was hanging out his laundry. His comment was that my dog didn't bark a lot. I told him she was not typical for Shelties - they liked to bark.