Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Barking must stop! Please help!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by emmygirl, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    None of those things worked for me either. Because of a body corporate problem I can't afford for the dogs to bark when the evil neighbour is home. Nowadays I just slip a bark collar over Deska's head and he knows he is not to bark (and Tully gives up on barking when Mr D doesnt). When he gets a bit too barky he wears it a couple of times and he settles back down.

I would really recommend trying one for your own sanity of nothing else. The beauty of a bark collar is the noise is coming from them - not you. I find it best works when used intermittently, I think shelties are smart enough not to need it on all the time.

This is the ultrasonic one I use (recently replaced under warranty as my old one was going thru batteries every 2 weeks)
    http://www.amazon.com/Petsafe-PUSB-300-UltraLight-Collar-Attachment/dp/B00023CZLM

If you think she will persist through the sound of the ultrasonic, I have recommended this vibration collar to a few people who love it too. Just be aware that a sensitive dog might find it a bit overwhelming (deska wont move if he has this on)
    http://www.dogtrainingstore.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=PT001

Here's Mr D with his petsafe collar

Attached Files:

2. LaddieKatieMom

LaddieKatieMom Premium Member

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I tried a method suggested by one of the forum posters on a similar blog. Laddie was barking a lot, particularly when it was time for Katie to get her TLC. Ha! The "new guy" was jealous. The suggestion was to put your hand around the muzzle and gently hold it while making a loud growling noise at them. This is what momma sheltie would do if her pups were getting too rambunctious. That sounded reasonable, so I tried it with Laddie. I did it maybe 3 or 4 times - just gently putting my hand around his muzzle and holding his mouth closed while growling loudly at him. Well....imagine my complete and total amazement when it worked!! When he started "hooting" again (he has a somewhat high-pitched voice) I looked at him and gave him the growl, and he immediately shut up and looked at me. That was followed by a "good boy" and lots of hugs and some kisses. From that point on, whenever he started getting to happy at hearing his own voice, I growl at him and he is immediately quiet. I can even prepare their food without getting a lecture. These babies are SMART ones...perhaps it will work for you too.

3. emmygirl

emmygirl Forums Enthusiast

May 4, 2009
    DE
    Sound & vibration anti-bark collars

Has any one tried the SOUND & VIBRATION ANTI-BARK COLLARS?

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep, scares the bjeebers out of them. The beauty is you can use the sound mostly, and if they keep barking through it (or you want them to be really quiet) you can switch to vibration. I dont even have to switch the thing on now - just hang it around Mr Ds neck and he is dead quiet.

5. wjo53

wjo53 Premium Member

Both my girls have loved to bark.

April's is a higher pitched bark than Chelsea's was, and it'll really cause your head to ring if in a tight space. Chelsea used to bark in the car freely - odd, it never seemed to bother me. Other people hated to drive with me though.

One time, my sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and bro-in-law's brother were camping in Fundy National Park for a long weekend. We guys went for a hike on one of the trails, and had to drive to get to it. On the way there, Chelsea started barking, and to get her to stop, the 4 of us started barking.

There we were driving through the park, barking our fool heads off, probably making more noise than Chelsea would have. It kept her quiet though, she took turns staring at each of us wondering what on earth was going on. We thought it was funny.

6. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

If she is escaping out of her martingale, then it is probably too loose. I have that problem with Bacca's currently, and need to find a way to have it tightened up (yes, my beautiful Leashes by Design collar, may have to be put aside if I can't get it resized!)

7. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

I'm going to give this one a try. I tried to get him settled before I embarked on something I knew would set him off (like the hairdryer, Ryan walking down the hall, David diving into the water, the lawnmower, the weedwhacker, the leaf blower, etc. etc.). But that did not work at all.

So I'll try the Momma dog technique. I might reinforce it by holding the ruff on the back of his neck as well, with a gentle shake.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I tried this technique on Bailey and it didn't work for her.

9. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    It never worked on Cleveland. When he wanted to bark and go nutzoid...........bark he did!

I think I tried everything with him to control his barking..........and I'd give a million dollars to have him here with me to bark again!

10. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    MMM is flipping out at the "heads" in the water. He doesn't understand there are bodies beneath the water in the lake and the "heads" are more than he can stand.