Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Barking must stop! Please help!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by emmygirl, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Samantha

Samantha Forums Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2010
    MA
    Saidy is working on barking issues as well, she has triggers that she gets excited about and starts going crazy. She's making progress for the most part but nothing seems to distract her from her excitement over one thing....Febreze....and other air fresheners and perfumes! she just loves to be sprayed with them, if I spray the couch she is all rubbing up against it or if I have perfume on my arm she is all over me and when ever I take out a spray bottle it starts, the spinning, jumping, barking, she doesn't want treats or attention and she is to excited to even listen to commands!
    any ideas on how to work on this?

2. emmygirl

emmygirl Forums Enthusiast

May 4, 2009
    DE
    Keely used to flip out over the Pledge can and air freshener. Its better now. I would have her sit on her bed and throw treats to her. I would start out slow. Just walk around with the can in you hand and treat her when she was quiet. I would leave the cans of pledge laying around the house near where she is so she got used to it. When I needed to spray: I had her go to her bed, lay down and I threw her treats (at dinner time when I knew she was hungry). I would feed her the kibble (her evening meal that night) as I was trying to dust, spray (She got a piece at a time). Everytime she was quiet I would treat. It worked. But I wish I could get it to work out at the pool.

3. Artaid

Artaid Forums Novice

Sep 6, 2017
    This is a very long and interesting thread. All the support and suggestions much appreciated. As a last resort can anyone recommend a good veterinary surgeon who performs the debarking procedure near New York City?

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi Artaid - unfortunately, per Forum rules, we aren't able to recommend specific vets (for any procedure).

I would, however, recommend reaching out to Sheltie breeders in your area, who may be familiar with vets who debark.

5. Artaid

Artaid Forums Novice

Sep 6, 2017
    Thank you. I posed the question on a Facebook page and got a lot of abuse for even asking about the procedure. I'm wondering if there are testimonials of it being successful.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
  7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We did something similar to emmygirl.

One of Shelby's triggers is reflections (thank you pet store guy who convinced us to use a laser pointer to play when she was a pup, and I was too dumb to know better). So doing dishes and cooking were a nightmare. We started by telling her to lay down and then treating her. Gradually lengthened the amount of time she had to lay quietly before getting a treat while we worked in the kitchen. It was a long process and takes a lot of consistency but now we hardly ever have to tell her to lay down and be quiet (she does have her moments but not too often).

Now she will put herself in a down stay in the kitchen and she will not move until she gets a carrot. If you forget to tell her "free" and give her a carrot she will still be laying there 30 minutes later. She will not even go outside if you are working in the kitchen b/c she wants that darn carrot. If she starts carrying on all you have to do is tell her she is not getting a carrot and she will immediately stop and lay down.

Now if only I could figure out how to make it work when she sees or hears kids playing outside - I think that is a lost cause for her.