Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Things to chew after Pancreatitis.

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Toby, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Toby

Toby Forums Regular

May 16, 2008
    Moorestown
    I am trying to find a safe chew for my sheltie after he has had pancreatitis but there does not seem to be much on the market.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Bully sticks and Himalayan chews are low fat and more healthy than most store treats. Stay away from rawhide or fatty chews. You might investigate sweet potato chews or try making it yourself...slice it and bake at 250 or so until it's dried out, several hours. I'd ask your vet for recommendations though before choosing, to be sure it's safe for your pup.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    What do you need something to chew for? Just asking because if he's older he probably doesn't need to chew.

If it's to keep him occupied, you can stuff a Kong. For a low calorie stuffer I use cooked frozen veggie mixed into a mashed boiled egg, or stuff with some mash potato or pumpkin.

If it's about his teeth, you'll want something that takes a few chews. I give mine a small piece of lean meat, like pork steak or sandwich steak (cooked), just enough that they have to chew it, so generally between the two of mine I cut up one piece of small steak into four pieces and give them two pieces each, they have this twice a week. You could probably also give a boiled chicken breast to chew on. Does he like fruit? Deska will chew on pieces of apple, he won't eat raw carrot, but if your dog does that's an option - to give it as a whole carrot. Otherwise include big chunks of cooked vegetables in his dinner - big enough and firm enough so he has to chew the pieces. Otherwise you may just need to brush or add something to his water.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I haRawhide could be bad for a dog with pancreatitis.
    Why is that?

5. Toby

Toby Forums Regular

May 16, 2008
    Moorestown
    Thank you for the input. I do have a Kong but he seems to go for my wife's slippers and wants to chew on them.

I believe rawhide is what gave our boy Pancreatitis. He developed it right after her ate some.

Not crazy about bully sticks. Tried them before.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I feel like I've seen dried sweet potato chews. Not sure how long they'd last, but it seems like a good alternative.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- Sam's Yams are a brand of dried sweet potato chews. Mine looooooooooooooove them.....:yes:
    they last longer than a cookie but not as long as a Himalayan cheese chew....

ghggp likes this.
  8. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    My boy also loves yam chews! We recently found some crunchy ones as well from a holistic vet's office. It's the only treat that gets my sheltie to actually drool. He'll even choose the yams over meaty treats. He's crazy for them! So now I get him the chewy ones for chews and the crunchy ones to break up for training. They are high in sugar so I'm not sure how well they work as a dental chew. For dental chews I would reccomend trying Whimzees. They are potato based and seem to be fairly well liked (especially when fresh).

Edit to add: I'm actually considering buying a dehydrator to make the yam chews and treats myself. At $10 per pack it's adding up

ghggp likes this.